Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Revert from stock LED to halogen?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Revert from stock LED to halogen?

I have a 18 JKUR that came stock from factory with LED headlamps. I'm military about to ship the Jeep to Germany. Just read a post on Facebook about someone that failed inspection on their Jeep with stock LED because they weren't halogen lamps. Apparently LED isn't allowed in Germany. Still researching a way around this issue with German inspection, but if it doesn't pan out, anyone know if I'm able to swap in halogen headlamps? I'm sure it's still the standard 7" housing in the Jeep, I'm asking more about the wiring connector (still an H13 connector) and any possible weirdness that may occur with the canbus system. Wondering if the computer will freak out if it senses a higher draw from a halogen bulb, or if there is any kind of anti flicker thing built into the wiring that won't work with a halogen bulb.

Such a stupid issue to have. I love the LED headlamps. Such an improvement over the crap that came from the factory on my last Jeep.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Ole Germany

They are really strict when it comes to cars. I don't miss the inspection process at all. I would call and find out before you mess with anything. Also be prepared to have limited sources at the BX, they do have a big selection of lights for your vehicles.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was stationed in Germany we had American military plates and didn't have to be inspected. Did it change?
Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Pretty sure use a different bucket so will need to find that as well.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience here, but I had read at one point the stock LED units were actually connected to the front grill and you could not remove them from the grill. I think I read this when people were looking to replace the halogen units with the stock LED's. It's easy to check this out by removing the grill and seeing if they are connected. If they are, I'm not sure what what else is different.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by corupt1
No experience here, but I had read at one point the stock LED units were actually connected to the front grill and you could not remove them from the grill. I think I read this when people were looking to replace the halogen units with the stock LED's. It's easy to check this out by removing the grill and seeing if they are connected. If they are, I'm not sure what what else is different.
they are not connected to the grill but the bucket behind the grill is different than the standard lights. grill comes off same way and grills are still interchangable.

Quick Reply: Revert from stock LED to halogen?