Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Puzzled about ECO

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puzzled about ECO

Question 1

With the key in the ACC position, I can cycle through the display (right side button). It shows odometer, trip A, trip B, and
ECO.

When I turn the key ON or start the vehicle, ECO goes away and changes to odometer. I can then cycle through odometer, trip A, and trip B.

ECO never shows when the vehicle is running.

Question 2

Can the vehicle MPG display be reset? If I hold the button in MPG mode, it blanks out the display, then returns to MPG mode when I release the button. It never does reset the MPG.

TIA

Last edited by Otbiker; 09-20-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't have the Jeep with me to verify, but I believe the ECO on displays only when you are being thrifty with the gas pedal (see below). As for the reset, I can only speak to my '11, which has a "reset" button on the steering wheel. I display the MPG, push and hold the "reset" button for a couple seconds, and it is reset.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...1367-eco-light
Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

OP: Sounds like you have an issue. Try the dealer. I run my display in "ECO" all the time. It stays in that mode without prompt. When driving economically, it will read, "ECO ON", otherwise it will read just "ECO". I think it senses throttle position and gear selection to help you drive fuel efficiently.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhol111964
OP: Sounds like you have an issue. Try the dealer. I run my display in "ECO" all the time. It stays in that mode without prompt. When driving economically, it will read, "ECO ON", otherwise it will read just "ECO". I think it senses throttle position and gear selection to help you drive fuel efficiently.
I think there is a bug in mine, seems to act odd when I am in cruise,

I can accelerate up to a speed say 110km/h set the cruise and the ECO light wont turn on, but if I cancel the cruise then resume and let the cruise reach 110km/h on its own the ECO light will then turn on once it his 110km/h

Almost seems like a problem with the electronic throttle body or computer or something.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a game to try to us drive more sensibly. See how much you can have the Eco light on while driving, the best part is the money you save.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhol111964
X2 on a 2011
Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

The ECO ON is lit when it is in overdrive. When if shift out of OD then it just displays ECO.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

There are issues with the Eco light on the 6speed manual. Think of the ECO as an economy light, it comes on to tell you your getting the best milage. Mine would only come on during deceleration and then only for a second. When I took it to the dealer they flashed the computer to shut it off as that was what the TSB said to do. Figures, they could not get it to work properly so they deactivated it.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

My ECO light is on almost all the time and I'm still getting 14 mpg in my '12 Rubi with 4.10s. I can make it come on right above 5 mph and then accelerate to 50+ with it on the entire time. Granted I'm not wining any 0-60 races but I can usually keep up with traffic.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as resetting the mileage, yes, it is reset after the flashing and it will display the current mileage you have. It is an average of the last 500 miles you traveled, so basically you are starting at mile zero from when you reset.

Quick Reply: Puzzled about ECO