Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rocker Arm issue - is there a Jeep Cares person here?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm issue - is there a Jeep Cares person here?

I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon. 81K miles on it now, bought it new and have serviced at about 5K oil and filter entire life. Has never had the "change oil" message come on, due to me changing it early... Used good full syn 5W-20 oil as it calls for, and good filters always.

This is my daily driver. 50 miles each way to work, mostly highway. Never wheeled hard - not abused, not used to tow or plow, etc. Stock size wheels and tires, no lift or engine mods. All stock... yea, boring, but I like it! I saved my lunch money to get this - what I wanted... my 3rd jeep over the years.

I am taking it to the shop tomorrow for a loud ticking from the engine, and also to get a couple of recalls fixed. Engine noise is my main worry... Loud ticking and louder when warm, so no exhaust leak. Sounds like its coming from rear passenger side of the engine. I am pretty sure it is the failed rocker arm issue that so many Chrysler Pentastar V6's have had... all over the web. I know that Chrysler issued a STAR report on this a while back. STAR Case bulletin, S1309000016.

Does Chrysler have any plans to help people with this repair?
Does Chrysler have better parts in place to fix this with?
I am worried that they will replace with same parts ( at a huge cost), and it will just fail again. In addition, that is just more metal shavings going in the motor.
Do I just need to get rid of my Jeep that I love, and write them off forever?

If Jeep has a rep on this site like some of the other sites have, I would like to speak with them...

thanks all,
Ken
Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I haven't seen a rep on this forum, but they are on JL Forum and I think there was one on Jeep Forum a while back. They're really interested in new owners because that's where the money is. You should be able to get your service writer to push the issue if it does exist in your vehicle. I'm sorry you're having these issues, I know what it's like to scrape together to buy one of these.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update on failed cam and rocker arms

UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with my Jeep dealer. Quote of $3832.14 to repair cam and valvetrain on both heads...
This is for a KNOWN issue that the Pentastar V6 is having in every Chrysler platform it is bolted into... STAR bulletin issued by Chrysler for the issue.
Robbery???

I have reached out to Alex at Chrysler Cares. Will see if he can assist. I am planning to take this as high as possible and make noise. This is NOT how a company needs to treat customers.

Will update when I can.
Ken
Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kegracing
UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with my Jeep dealer. Quote of $3832.14 to repair cam and valvetrain on both heads...
This is for a KNOWN issue that the Pentastar V6 is having in every Chrysler platform it is bolted into... STAR bulletin issued by Chrysler for the issue.
Robbery???

I have reached out to Alex at Chrysler Cares. Will see if he can assist. I am planning to take this as high as possible and make noise. This is NOT how a company needs to treat customers.

Will update when I can.
Ken
Do it yourself, cams only needed if there tore up, ask to see cams and look at the loves with cams still in vehicle. More then likely only needs rocker arms. That job only takes about 2 hours for left head and 2-3 for right head max. I can do all rockers in under 2.5 hrs... Noway it cost 3800 to fix... Find a different repair shop
Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am having the same issue right now. Im not sure I want to tackle the problem myself. So far it seems like around $700 for repair at a shop.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

I have a case opened with Chrysler now, waiting to talk to them more. Will see what they say. I have no intention of paying the dealer what they quoted. I really have a hard time feeling that I should have to pay at all on this... they have a known defect, hurting thousands of people, a STAR bulletin out, but NO RECALL - YET.

In addition, as far as we know, they are using the same defective parts to repair, and it will fail again.

Will see what they say.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kegracing
i have a case opened with chrysler now, waiting to talk to them more. Will see what they say. I have no intention of paying the dealer what they quoted. I really have a hard time feeling that i should have to pay at all on this... They have a known defect, hurting thousands of people, a star bulletin out, but no recall - yet.

In addition, as far as we know, they are using the same defective parts to repair, and it will fail again.

Will see what they say.
chrysler of yesteryear -- maybe..... Fiat, good luck
Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kegracing
UPDATE:
Robbery???

Will update when I can.
Ken
That is high. My bill was around $1300 for the passenger side, this included both cams, all lifters and rockers. It was ticking big time and I could have skipped the cams as there was very little damage. Cams were around $165 each. How much could an entire new head cost? I've seen entire new engine take outs on-line for $4000. Annoys me big time to see quotes like that from dealers
Old 04-22-2019, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

All rocker arms pay 6.5 hours to replace PER ALLDATA and that includes removing cams.. Cams only need replaced if damaged (ask to see your camshafts), purchase your own rocker arms online (amazon) to save a few bucks from mark up, there all made by the same company. So at $145 hr labor + parts (avg $9 a rocker) plus gaskets, you should be around the $1500 mark unless a cam needs replaced then its another $150 per cam... So there quote is high.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Another update.
After more discussion with Chrysler and working with the Service team at Waxahachie CDJR, I have decided to have them repair the motor. The Service Mgr was a big help here, and really made me a good offer of support from Chrysler, through his office. While I still do not like the fact the motor has this issue, at least they are stepping up to try and make this right. Still some money out of pocket for me, but much better than original quote. Better than I could buy the parts for and do it myself. They wanted to make it right, wanted to keep a future customer.
Chrysler care rep was nice, opened the case number, but this was all really handled by the dealer service Mgr.
He told me they are doing 4-5 of these motors per month, and getting more frequent. He also shared that with the CC rep.
They also told me that the new parts have been upgraded by the OEM, and the hardening of the bearings in the rocker arms have been corrected. New parts should not fail. Hope that all proves true.
I should have my Jeep back next week, with fresh valve train and all service work completed... good to go for a while I hope!

Long story short... If you are having issues like this with a Pentastar v6, don't wait too long, it will not get better. Parts must be replaced. Chrysler knows they have a problem. STAR bulletin is there, and if your dealer is honest, they will admit it also. In fairness to dealer, they have to have a case number to go back against... so reach out to Chrysler and complain - nicely.

If anything goes wrong with this from here, I will update.

Ken

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm issue - is there a Jeep Cares person here?