Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roof rail question

Old 05-07-2018, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof rail question

Does anyone make a simple rail system for an unlimited JK with hardtop? I have looked at Teraflex, and Yakima, but neither have mounts that can be attached to a hardtop.I am looking for simple mounts that will hold tubing, like the Yakima system. Their mounts only attach to gutters, or clip under the roof where it meets the doors. I could fab up something, but I don't have a welder anymore.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I think Thule and Yakima have a universal rail system. I used Thule's and it works very well for me

Old 05-08-2018, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much weight are you thinking of putting up there? The Yakima seems like a good solution for skis and other light stuff, but if you're like me with a RTT in my future it looks like the Terraflex Nebo rails are the best option out there for the Unlimited..... For us 2 doors its a little bit different story, but a buddy with them on his Unlimited is super pleased.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this Rhino Rack from amazon. Works great, pretty easy install. Was a bit nerve wracking drilling into the top though. The most weight I plan on carrying is a 57lb canoe. I do plan on reinforcing the rails from inside as well just to be safe.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by andygat
I got this Rhino Rack from amazon. Works great, pretty easy install. Was a bit nerve wracking drilling into the top though. The most weight I plan on carrying is a 57lb canoe. I do plan on reinforcing the rails from inside as well just to be safe.
I did exactly that, just a piece of steel bar drilled for the bolts through the rail on top. Bunch of sealant through the hole and some nice caps on the nuts inside. Never had a leak and I've had plenty of weight up there.
The following users liked this post:
andygat (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's exactly what I had in mind too. Looks great.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the look of the Rhino rack, thanks!

I looked on Amazon, but I didn't find the side rails, only the crossbars.

Last edited by 16FW; 05-21-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 16FW
I like the look of the Rhino rack, thanks!

I looked on Amazon, but I didn't find the side rails, only the crossbars.
I ended up getting mine from Etrailer .https://www.etrailer.com/Roof_Rack/R...k/RTC12JW.html
The instructions are for a TJ, so ignore them, and look inside before drilling, or you will end up in a brace or something worse.

I had to drop the speaker bar to get to the the front bolts.

Quick Reply: Roof rail question