Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rookie mistake with Airbag light

Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie mistake with Airbag light

I pulled something out from under the front driver's seat of my 2016 JKU and snagged the seat harness. It disconnected the plug. I plugged it back in and everything "looks" fine, but now my Airbag light is on. I've tried resetting with the battery, and I've also tried to read error codes with the key switch on/off method. No codes are displayed and unplugging the battery (for about 2 hrs) did nothing for the light.

I assume that since the light is on and there are no error codes that it thinks the seat is all the way forward and has turned off the driver's airbag?

I plan on checking the wires tonight to make sure that I do not have a broken wire. Visually they all look good, but I could've broken one inside the harness.

Does anyone have the trouble shooting method from the service manual for this circuit?
Do you all have any other suggestions? (Other than don't yank stuff out from under the seats. )

Last edited by jmauld; 11-28-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Use a real code reader. The internal reader doesn't access all the possible codes.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the problem tonight. Did a little probing with a multimeter and found that the seat position sensor wasn’t getting voltage. I tugged on that wire and it pulled right out of the seat harness connector. I took the harness out, soldered the wire back to the correct pin, crimped it (it wasn’t crimped completely from the factory) and now it’s all working as it should.

Last edited by jmauld; 11-28-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Rookie mistake with Airbag light