Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rough idle, coughing hesitation and backfire...

Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle, coughing hesitation and backfire...

I've been having issues with the JK in the past year or so and I thought at first it was a case of bad gas. The Jeep would idle really rough and at times backfire. The CEL would come on and sometimes would blink. I would pull over to the side of the road and then shut it down and when I start it back up again it would be fine. No trouble codes would show up when I tried to get the DTC from the key in the ignintion trick, just a "DONE" even if there is a CEL.
Here's some background on the JK:
2012 - 43K miles
No mods - Stock
Had a P0300 ( Multiple Cylinder Misfire) at ~35K and left cylinder head replaced.
New battery at 43K
P0132 (O2 Sensor 1/1 Circuit High) at 42K - Pulled the battery and it resetted.
P0172 (Fuel System 1/1 Rich) at 43K - Connected an OBD reader and it was listed as logged faults.
This seems to happen if the Jeep hasn't been driven in a while but doesn't happen all the time.

I'm afraid to take it to dealer because knowing them, they'll want to replace parts that they think might be causing the issue. This can get really really expensive. I was hoping someone on here has had a simimlar thing happen to their JK or someone who has an idea on what's causing it. Any ideas guys? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Try changing the crank position sensor. Me and another member on here had stutter issues in our 2012s with no codes. He replaced his crank sensor and it fixed his problem. I did the same and it fixed mine. It a fairly cheap sensor that is simple to replace. You got nothing to lose.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Rob,

Thanks of the tip! You're talking about the crank shaft position sensor, the sensor underneath the engine on the passenger side? I've seen people get it mixed up with the camshaft position sensor.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SDSkippy
Rob,

Thanks of the tip! You're talking about the crank shaft position sensor, the sensor underneath the engine on the passenger side? I've seen people get it mixed up with the camshaft position sensor.
Yeah, it was underneath on passenger side. I laid on my back on the ground to get to it. Only one bolt. The dealer didn't have it in stock, so they had to order it.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

So I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Quick and easy 22 dollar part. I was really hoping this would of fixed my issue with the stuttering and rough idling but it didn't. A few days after I replaced the part, it started acting up again. Any other ideas guys?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You might take a look at my thread I just put up. Sounds similar and it's easy to check. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...solved-345638/

Quick Reply: Rough idle, coughing hesitation and backfire...