Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rough Idle (recent)

Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle (recent)

So, over the last month or so (starting to get cooler out here in texas... if you call 50s cool) i have started getting a rough idle once in a blue moon.

It's rare enough that it has happend maybe twice in the last 30-40 days. Shortly after starting (with no problems) usually the first red-light i come to i notice the shifter (6-speed) bouncing a little like the engine is running rough. Then i notice the RPMs drop to probably around 500 then bounce to 1k and kind of flutter a little.

It has never stalled, or done it even after that first initial stop, and only seems to happen with a cold engine.

Should i be worried, chalk it up to just another normal Jeep thing, or what?

Only reason this is bugging me a little more is I plan on driving it up to Indiana and then to Wisconsin this x-mas with my girlfriend and the last thing I want is to be strandes somewhere in Oklahoma or heaven forbid that flatlander state Illinois...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, but I just checked my throttle body and it had some soot in it behind the flap. I have had the rough idle as well. I will be ordering some cleaner and getting to it soon.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sieran
So, over the last month or so (starting to get cooler out here in texas... if you call 50s cool) i have started getting a rough idle once in a blue moon.

It's rare enough that it has happend maybe twice in the last 30-40 days. Shortly after starting (with no problems) usually the first red-light i come to i notice the shifter (6-speed) bouncing a little like the engine is running rough. Then i notice the RPMs drop to probably around 500 then bounce to 1k and kind of flutter a little.

It has never stalled, or done it even after that first initial stop, and only seems to happen with a cold engine.

Should i be worried, chalk it up to just another normal Jeep thing, or what?

Only reason this is bugging me a little more is I plan on driving it up to Indiana and then to Wisconsin this x-mas with my girlfriend and the last thing I want is to be strandes somewhere in Oklahoma or heaven forbid that flatlander state Illinois...
Lots of us have had the same issue (surging). No one has a solution yet. I tried some fuel injector cleaner in mine and it hasn't happened since. I still get a rough idle though (hiccups) every now and again. Its not the surging problem but I wonder if they are associated.
If someone is going to find a solution it'll be on this forum!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Lots of us have had the same issue (surging). No one has a solution yet. I tried some fuel injector cleaner in mine and it hasn't happened since. I still get a rough idle though (hiccups) every now and again. Its not the surging problem but I wonder if they are associated.
If someone is going to find a solution it'll be on this forum!
Thats not a bad idea either. Hey man, meant to ask you, did your steering clunk ever come back? Sorry for the hi jack.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I dunno, but I just checked my throttle body and it had some soot in it behind the flap. I have had the rough idle as well. I will be ordering some cleaner and getting to it soon.
Had some soot in behind mine as well. Let me know what you use and how it worked for you. Weird, I only have 7000k on mine.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

phew! then i'm not alone...

Wasnt quite sure what to call it or even search for. I have almost 23k on her now and has only just started.

Yours have it for a while or around any specific miles?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Thats not a bad idea either. Hey man, meant to ask you, did your steering clunk ever come back? Sorry for the hi jack.

No, after I pulled the shaft and greased the splines it didn't. Its getting cold here though and it only happened during really warm weather. I think I nailed it for now though.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sieran
phew! then i'm not alone...

Wasnt quite sure what to call it or even search for. I have almost 23k on her now and has only just started.

Yours have it for a while or around any specific miles?
Mine started with a cold rough idle (hiccups) around 5000k then one morning 20 seconds after i started the engine it started to surge and almost stall. It happened more and more frequently until I used some Fuel injector cleaner. It hasn't happened since. Its only been a couple of weeks though.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Jedi

Had some soot in behind mine as well. Let me know what you use and how it worked for you. Weird, I only have 7000k on mine.
Thats okay I have 12,000 and have the soot so Im sure it started build up before that.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi

Mine started with a cold rough idle (hiccups) around 5000k then one morning 20 seconds after i started the engine it started to surge and almost stall. It happened more and more frequently until I used some Fuel injector cleaner. It hasn't happened since. Its only been a couple of weeks though.
Where do you put the fuel injector cleaner?

Quick Reply: Rough Idle (recent)