Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

RTV in Diff Bolt Holes?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RTV in Diff Bolt Holes?

putting on new diff covers, first time doing this myself. I cant seem to get the old RTV out of the bolt holes so I don't even want to try and put the cover back on... Anybody got tips on how to get that old RTV out of my differential bolt holes? Maybe have to go buy a tap?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

No need to buy a tap, just take your grinder so a bolt of the same diameter and make your own tap. You can also use a pick and brakeleen.
The following users liked this post:
SheepyTheJKU (09-11-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'd just use a pick and get it out best you can. If there's a little in there it won't be a huge deal. Using a LubeLocker moving forward will relieve you of some RTV headache in the future.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right tool would be a thread restorer. Lang makes a kit that is handy to have. Most of the tool trucks and even craftsman rebrand them.

But for a diff cover, just run a bolt though the hole a few times then put the cover on and torque the bolt down.

Quick Reply: RTV in Diff Bolt Holes?