JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Rubi or X (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/rubi-x-69173/)

Bayrat 01-19-2009 09:04 AM

Rubi or X

Looking into another Jeep. Currently have the 08 Rubi and other than the never fixable water leaks, like it.

If I order an X with the rear locker, I assume that is the Dana 44 correct? Pretty much, I can configure the X like the Rubi except for the sway bar disconnect and the front locker, at least as near as I can tell.

There may be a time in the future when I want to put a plow on the thing, way in the future, so I was wondering if the X front axle is heavy enough for that. Owned several CJ's and a YJ in the past with plows.

Seems the 4k difference is an awful lot for a front locker and sway disconnect.

RedneckJeep 01-19-2009 09:40 AM

Nope. The rear locker and sway bar disconnect come together as a package deal on the X. Yes, the rear will be a Dana 44. I forget what it adds to the sticker, though. I bought an 08 X and would do it again because of all the problems I've seen with the Rubi lockers. I would think with axle gussets from EVO, that the Dana 30 would be fine. Certainly were you to upgrade to a locker in the front and chromemoly axles, you'd be set for sure.

Jeepin Dad 01-19-2009 09:47 AM

The other big thing you sacrifice with the X is the gearing, 4.10 vs 3.73 or 3.21 in the diffs and 4.0 vs 2.72 in the transfercase.

TeraFlex 01-19-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep (Post 899354)
Nope. The rear locker and sway bar disconnect come together as a package deal on the X. Yes, the rear will be a Dana 44. I forget what it adds to the sticker, though. I bought an 08 X and would do it again because of all the problems I've seen with the Rubi lockers. I would think with axle gussets from EVO, that the Dana 30 would be fine. Certainly were you to upgrade to a locker in the front and chromemoly axles, you'd be set for sure.

x2 on that, My X came with the Rubi rear and edisco, upgraded shafts f/r 5:13's EVO'd the C's.

Ben 01-19-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep (Post 899354)

Redneck Jeep, I have always wanted to call you out on something. I don't believe that you can get the rear locker/swaybar disco on an x anymore in 09. But as homeboy said the gearing alone is almost worth going to a rubi.whatever u do avoid a six speed with 3.21 gears unless u absolutely know u are changing gears!

Bayrat 01-19-2009 11:27 AM

That's right, I forgot all about the gearing difference in the transfer case. Glad someone remembered! I did not see the locker rear/sway bar on the 09 spec sheet but recall it was around $1100 when I was browsing the dealer lot last year.

RedneckJeep 01-19-2009 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ben (Post 899410)
Redneck Jeep, I have always wanted to call you out on something. I don't believe that you can get the rear locker/swaybar disco on an x anymore in 09. But as homeboy said the gearing alone is almost worth going to a rubi.whatever u do avoid a six speed with 3.21 gears unless u absolutely know u are changing gears!

You may be correct. Then again, I never specified a model year. Neither did the OP. :bleh:

Infidel616 01-19-2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin Dad (Post 899363)
The other big thing you sacrifice with the X is the gearing, 4.10 vs 3.73 or 3.21 in the diffs and 4.0 vs 2.72 in the transfercase.

true on the trans case but my x came with 4.10's in the diffs. It was like a 200 dollar option

JK_JOE 01-19-2009 02:03 PM

If I could go back in time, I would buy the Rubi and enjoy all the benefits from the beginning instead of trying to upgrade my Sahara.

Ben 01-20-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Infidel616 (Post 899671)
true on the trans case but my x came with 4.10's in the diffs. It was like a 200 dollar option

and this was an 07 option only. But dang, redneck got me again. Foiled by my overeagerness to call him out!