Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubicon Sway Bar light flashing

Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Sway Bar light flashing

We have an '08 Rubicon and have never used the disconnect-sway-bar function. The light is flashing so I got under it to see what's up. The issue is that there is enough play in the mechanism that I can hear a switch clicking when I move it around. This switch, evidently, is the difference between the Sway Bar light flashing and not. The bar moves around quite a bit in the bushings, which probably need replaced. I can feel it clunking on turns. But should the motor allow that much movement? I'm trying to figure out exactly where the trouble lies - bushings or something more?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did that too. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, hooked it back up, and the light was out. Try that.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by azphoto
Mine did that too. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, hooked it back up, and the light was out. Try that.

Thanks I'll try that. Did you check to see if there was anything physically wrong with yours? Mine seems loose. I was going to try to engage and disengage it to see if it somehow resets itself. But with the light flashing it's inoperative.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbojimmy
Thanks I'll try that. Did you check to see if there was anything physically wrong with yours? Mine seems loose. I was going to try to engage and disengage it to see if it somehow resets itself. But with the light flashing it's inoperative.
Are your end links torqued spec? They run vertical from the end of the bar to the axle.... did you try any of the advice from your June post?

Last edited by spmitchell86; 09-30-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Are your end links torqued spec? They run vertical from the end of the bar to the axle.... did you try any of the advice from your June post?
Funny - I forgot that I had posted in June. Yes, I disconnected the connector. It looked okay. I hit it with some WD40 anyway and put it back together.

I unhooked the battery for a few minutes but that didn't do it. The end links look okay - they're not loose. The play is in the middle at the actuator. It sags, for lack of a better term. Here's a vid:

https://youtu.be/S_UKqiKTQGA
Old 10-01-2017, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbojimmy
Funny - I forgot that I had posted in June. Yes, I disconnected the connector. It looked okay. I hit it with some WD40 anyway and put it back together. I unhooked the battery for a few minutes but that didn't do it. The end links look okay - they're not loose. The play is in the middle at the actuator. It sags, for lack of a better term. Here's a vid: Video Link: https://youtu.be/S_UKqiKTQGA
Oh wow it's really moving! Helpful video.... my only other thought is maybe the rubber bushing that holds the bar tight to the underside of the frame is toast or missing? Do you frequent the pine barrens down there where it could've been submerged for a long time or whacked on something?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Oh wow it's really moving! Helpful video.... my only other thought is maybe the rubber bushing that holds the bar tight to the underside of the frame is toast or missing? Do you frequent the pine barrens down there where it could've been submerged for a long time or whacked on something?
That's there the play is - where it's attached to the frame. I thought the bolt was loose, but it has a shoulder on it so the actuator can move on that bushing. Maybe something did get torn off of it and I'm not seeing it. I have an alldata subscription - I'll check out the diagram.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Sway Bar light flashing