Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rust on a new JK and standard height

Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Oscar Mike is a Sport with a few upgrades..... It has D30 front/ D44 rear, 3.73 gears, a rear LSD, and a 2.72:1 Transfer case.
The Rubicon has D44 front/D44 rear, choice of 3.73 or 4.10 gears, electric lockers front and rear, and a 4:1 Transfer case.
The following users liked this post:
Ernestovr (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two more questions;
#1 Can the D44 with LSD be convert to an electronic lock?
#2 Can the D30 be converted to an electronic lock?
#3 Is the D30 LSD or a different systems?
Just so you know I'm googleing this information to try to understand more.

VR
Ernesto.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernestovr
Yes.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...BoCoDkQAvD_BwE
Yes.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/l...er-3-73-and-up
The D30 is an open differential. An LSD or locker "could" be added to it but smart money says to not spend too much money investing into the stock D30.
Ernestovr (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

So you could upgrade the rear for ~$1200.00 and change the front to a Dana 44 with Elock ~2500 or so. So about 4K would make it a full locking model. I looked up a few items based on everyone's information then looked at my documentation and notice that I have something called Track Lock in the rear. The video showed me what happens while on 4H and 4L but does this mean if things get very tough the power will go to the path of least resistance at least to the front?
Old 04-24-2018, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

This is one of those things that you really just need to get out and use your jeep. Get your feet wet, figure out what kinda things you like to do, then plan from there. You very well could find you're perfectly capable with an open front and LSD in the back. You'd be surprised by the things you can do in a stock jeep. Now, you want to get in to aggressive rock crawling, that won't be enough and you'll need real lockers, but I suspect you will have a lot of fun in your new jeep as is. When you start seeing obstacles you can't conquer due to traction, that is when you start realizing your setup's deficiencies. You can wheel the heck out of what you have right now and have a lot of fun.
Ernestovr (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just so you know I'm googleing this information to try to understand more.

VR
Ernesto.
Your JK with its rear LSD and BLD (brake lock differentials) is a extremely capable machine like it is. I doubt you'd see much gain from adding selectable lockers unless you're doing some pretty extreme rock crawling.
Ernestovr (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 jku has open diff. I don't do anything hardcore, but I think the BLD is perfectly adequate for my needs.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
This is one of those things that you really just need to get out and use your jeep. Get your feet wet, figure out what kinda things you like to do, then plan from there. You very well could find you're perfectly capable with an open front and LSD in the back. You'd be surprised by the things you can do in a stock jeep. Now, you want to get in to aggressive rock crawling, that won't be enough and you'll need real lockers, but I suspect you will have a lot of fun in your new jeep as is. When you start seeing obstacles you can't conquer due to traction, that is when you start realizing your setup's deficiencies. You can wheel the heck out of what you have right now and have a lot of fun.
Very good advise thank you I will.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eng23ine
Your JK with its rear LSD and BLD (brake lock differentials) is a extremely capable machine like it is. I doubt you'd see much gain from adding selectable lockers unless you're doing some pretty extreme rock crawling.
Thank you I have learn so much in just a few weeks, I really appreciate it. So I know I have Track Lock and LSD but I did not now it also had BLD, I saw that in the video but sense i did't see BLD in the docs, I was not sure if it had it.

VR
Ernesto
Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
My 2012 jku has open diff. I don't do anything hardcore, but I think the BLD is perfectly adequate for my needs.
So BLD is on all the JK's, very cool.

Quick Reply: Rust on a new JK and standard height