Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust in White Paint?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust in White Paint?

At first I thought I was going crazy but the last few times I've washed my '09 Stone White JK I've noticed that the body panels are covered in little orange spots (looks like small rust spots) that don't easily buff out. I was talking with a co-worker about this and he says the same thing has happened to every white Ford vehicle he owned. A friend of his seemed to think it was from small pieces of iron getting imbedded in the paint when the vehicle was being transported to the dealer (like off rail lines, brakes, etc). Has anyone else noticed these little spots in their paint? I wouldn't be too concerned, but co-worker says a few of the spots he ignored in his F150 turned into full-blown rust holes...
Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Have you tried to clay bar it? Every single vehicle comes from the factory with 'dirt' on the paint. I remember I bought my Ford brand new and it had little black spots all over it. After I clayed it, it was fine.
I bought my 07 a month ago and noticed the same thing. Mine was a lease vehicle return at 9000 miles and no ones really detailed it. Got the clay bar out, it's fine.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay bar will take it right out.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Dealership told me it was rail dust from transporting it by train. The dust lands on your paint and starts to rust. Had them give it a clay bath and it took most of them out. They missed some spots which made me a little mad. Going back to get its first service so I'll show it to them again.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

I will have to try the clay bar too. I thought my wider wheels and tires were just peppering the sides of the jeep with rocks and leaving little chips in the paint that were rusting.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best offense is a good defense when it comes to spots from trees, air pollution, etc.

Use a good paint cleaner/clay bar then put down a layer of Acrylic Sealant and then a coat of wax or two.

The spots will wash right off then.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi

It will be also, be from the plow trucks in winter climates as many snow removal trucks actually have brake pads below the plow blade to reduce wear. However, this brake debris will get embedded in the clearcoat like Rail Dust.

Clay bar and I usually claybar every year. White is the worst to show these embedded metal particles every winter.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

There are a couple of good threads on this subject including several options. The clay bar seems to be simplest.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:23 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with a white 2002 Tahoe. I also have a 2003 pewter tahoe that doesnt have any problems. People try to tell me it is also in the pewter paint too but I cant see it but they are wrong. It was only in the white paint. You can feel it in the white paint. It is rust and it will grow if not taken care of. I have clay bar'd many times and then waxed it. On the tahoe, it eventually comes back. They told me me same rail dust story too but it hasnt been on the rails for 8 years.

It was really bad on the deck lid. I took it to the body shop (at the dealership though) and they repainted it under warranty. The spots came back. So in that case, I felt it was something coming off the truck and sticking to the paint. In their defense, I later figured out their body work sucked so it may be they painted over the top of the rust too. I recently replaced the brakes maybe I got lucky and that was the problem. We'll see.

Hopefully, that isnt the case with your JK. The orange on my 2009 JK is holding up well so far.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's on the paint, Then I would agree the best place to start is with a good clay bar. When we got the wife her JK unlimited back in Oct 06, they only had 3 on the lot. A rescue green Sahara, a flame red X, and a black X. She did not want a Sahara. The flame red was a manual, so that was out, which left us with the black. I knew black looked good when shined up, but also knew how hard it was to keep it that way.
I started with a clay bar from Mothers and used plenty of Mothers Showtime as the lubricant. Once that was done I used Meguiars 3 step. First the cleaning compound, then the polish, then step 3 the carnuba wax. I knew that carnuba really brings out the shine, but since it's so soft, does not last, nor does it have alot of UV protection, so after the a good waxing with that, I waited for a day, then a minor washing with plain water and a good drying. Once done I put down a coat of Meguairs NXT generation, followed by another coat, using a good grade of microfibre cloths to wipe off. She was exstatic with the looks. During the month of October and November a few washes and coats of Meguairs quick detail, the shine lasted right through the winter. When spring came, all that was needed was a good washing then a coat of NXT, and it looked great again.
Now on the other hand, if the rust specks you talk about are embedded within the paint, that's going to be another story. I would suggest you go to a good detailer you can trust and ask his oppinion. If it's a matter of "on the paint" you can take care of it yourself using the methods which have been posted. If the detailer believes "it's in the paint", then you and the dealership should have a talk.

Quick Reply: Rust in White Paint?