Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Safe jack points besides axle?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safe jack points besides axle?

Is it safe to use the Rubi rails as a jack point to change a tire?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

It's probably not recommended, but if I had no other choice i would. Assuming you are talking about a hi-lift? Most concerning part about the sliders is there is nothing keeping the jack from sliding on the slider while loaded.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The handle that you raise and lower the jack with usually has a slot that fits on to the valve so you don't have to get under the vehicle.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Junkie

From the looks of that it either A)wont reach the sliders. or B)wont fit under the axle as an assembly. Thats just from looking at it and based on the 3ton stands I have myself. I wouldn't worry too much myself about unscrewing at, as long as the wheels are on the jeep is only going so far, bottle jacks can be let down pretty slowly..

looks pretty interesting, haven't seen one of those before.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
The handle that you raise and lower the jack with usually has a slot that fits on to the valve so you don't have to get under the vehicle.
X2, shoulda come with a piece together handle to do it.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Jedi

Guess Ill just have to play around with it and see what works best at my next tire rotation. Thanks guys!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Guess Ill just have to play around with it and see what works best at my next tire rotation. Thanks guys!
Use the frame, and use those short pieces of 2x6 you should keep in your vehicle in case you get stuck to raise it up. My pieces of 2x6 saw a ton of use for other vehicles during this recent blizzard we had.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

To answer your original question... I have lifted the jeep by the rubi rails, although it was with a high-lift.
No problem lifting a tire off the ground, but it bent the rail bracket slightly, so now it's running at a slight angle along the body instead of exactly parallel.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Is it safe to use the Rubi rails as a jack point to change a tire?
if you jack from the frame or rocker guards, you will need to lift up the body of your jeep high enough to unload the weight off the coil before your tire starts coming up off the ground. this is dangerous and totally unnecessary. when changing a tire, you should ALWAYS try to jack from the axle (pumpkin or base of control arm joints are good locations) and not the body. this will require a minimal amount of lift in order to get your tire off the ground and is much safer.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

My concern has been to damage the pumppkin or axles. The rear is in the middle, so i guess i can jack both backs up at once? The pumpkin can handle the weight?

How about the front. If using the axles, do i get closer to the hub or the pumpkin for minimal stress?

To help the OP, I have lifted my jeep by the sliders a few times. It will work but may bend the mounting brakets. It can be adjusted but becomes nasty. i would use the rails only when i had to.

Quick Reply: Safe jack points besides axle?