Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sevice problem help

Old 07-09-2016, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sevice problem help

I have a 2014 JKU Sahara and recently I will driving alone and the seat belt chime will go off (seat belt is connected) the idiot lights flash on for a second the speedometer needle will drop about 20 mph and pop back to where it was if the cruise control was on it pops off then everything is back to normal. This may not happen for 10-15 miles then 2-3 times in a mile or so. One time the engine light stayed on one time the battery light stayed on. Once I stopped and it would not start I opened the door to get out and tried it again and it started. Took it to my dealer they said it just needed a software update, I picked it up and got about 3 miles away and same thing happened. They have had it 3 days now anyone have an idea I'd appreciate any help.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Sounds like a battery issue.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. You've either got a bad battery or the cables are not tightly connected at the battery posts. My battery lasted only 2 years before I had to replace it as these battery's don't fare well with heat and vibration.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks I will have them check that out.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Turns out they replaced the powetrain control module and so far so good. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Not over yet I guess, ran fine for 2 days then same old problem and the stability control light stayed on. When restarted everything was normal. I started wiggling everything under the hood and the neg battery cable was easy to move I tightened it and it's been 5 days with not problems. The tech that worked on my jeep was on vacation all week and the dealer didn't want to put a new guy on the job so I'm suppose to bring it back this week. I told them about the advice you guys gave me but as you can see they never bothered to check it out. I will post what happens next.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rscroggi
Not over yet I guess, ran fine for 2 days then same old problem and the stability control light stayed on. When restarted everything was normal. I started wiggling everything under the hood and the neg battery cable was easy to move I tightened it and it's been 5 days with not problems. The tech that worked on my jeep was on vacation all week and the dealer didn't want to put a new guy on the job so I'm suppose to bring it back this week. I told them about the advice you guys gave me but as you can see they never bothered to check it out. I will post what happens next.
Sounds like you might have it fixed. BTW welcome to the forum.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

12 days after tightening the battery cable it,s baaaaaack! Yes the cable systems is still tight. 5 times in 10 miles seat belt chimes once idiot lights flash on and speedometer drops 20 mph and pops right back up no warning lights n dash back to where I started.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rscroggi
12 days after tightening the battery cable it,s baaaaaack! Yes the cable systems is still tight. 5 times in 10 miles seat belt chimes once idiot lights flash on and speedometer drops 20 mph and pops right back up no warning lights n dash back to where I started.
I had a very similar issue. Dealer updated software, replaced all speed sensors and it still was occurring. What ended up fixing the issue was a complete switch of the battery connectors. I ended up having to cut the stock battery connectors off and replaced with a set of HD connectors I found online. No issues since that fix. Also make sure you have all accessories are wired correctly on the negative battery terminal. I ended up finding out even with the stock connectors tight, the negative connector still got looses since I had a couple accessories wired to the negative incorrectly (use the connector without a nut for accessories).
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Singleton
I had a very similar issue. Dealer updated software, replaced all speed sensors and it still was occurring. What ended up fixing the issue was a complete switch of the battery connectors. I ended up having to cut the stock battery connectors off and replaced with a set of HD connectors I found online. No issues since that fix. Also make sure you have all accessories are wired correctly on the negative battery terminal. I ended up finding out even with the stock connectors tight, the negative connector still got looses since I had a couple accessories wired to the negative incorrectly (use the connector without a nut for accessories).
Thanks for the info in what way we're your accessories incorrectly wired? I have a winch and LED lights wired to mine.

Quick Reply: Sevice problem help