Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by DV8 Offroad
Click Here

Side Marker Light Not Working

Old 04-12-2019, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Side Marker Light Not Working

Hey guys,

My passenger-side side marker fender light is not working. I already replaced the bulb to no avail. Every other light on the Jeep works fine, so I donít think itís a fuse issue. I tried using a power probe on the terminal while I clipped it to the chassis as a ground and I am able to get power at the bulb connection.

To my understanding, the side markers donít use ground wires.

Anyone have any ideas what I should be checking? I am not sure how the circuit runs or functions.

Thanks!

Last edited by spyther; 04-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stupid question... did you simply move the working bulb from the other fender over to see if it works on the passenger side? Good luck!!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I did, still doesnít work unfortunately.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weird that you are getting power, but the bulb isn't working... can you insert the bulb with a wire clipped to a ground point?
Old 04-12-2019, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thatís the thing. From what little Iíve been able to find, there is no ground point. Something to do with a ďfloating groundĒ or something. It somehow gets ground through a connection with the headlight itself or something.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts

One of the two wires has to be a ground. If you were able to see current at the connector by using a multimeter, then the wire hooked to the other terminal is a ground wire. Trace that wire out and see where it goes. It may have a break in it. Heck, worst case, just splice into that ground wire and run your own ground.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same issue and it was the wire was bad. I tested it by unhooking it and took the one from the other side that worked and connected it. Light worked. It could be that the bulb is not seated in the bulb connector correctly due to wear. I bought the wire from amazon and it has worked perfect since then.

Quick Reply: Side Marker Light Not Working

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: