Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Side mirror removal... but how?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirror removal... but how?

I was excited to have received my side mirror relocation brackets. I did these steps:
1. screwed the relocation brackets to the windshield pillar
2. removed the door and the under lying screw on the mirror
3. tried to remove the mirror, but it wouldn't come off.
4. gave up
5. took off the relocation bracket.

I have a full size door and the reloc. bracket is for a half door and/or no door usage. Do I have to purchase new mirrors to fit the new brackets or could I some how take off the stock mirror from it's bracket? Please let me know.

Oh, I'm doing the relocation side mirror stuff to comply with DOT rules and stuff
Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

What brand mirror relocation kit did you get?

Best thing to do before you remove the door is take out the bottom screw. Squirt a little WD-40 around where the tapered pin on the mirror goes into the mounting socket. Let it soak a little while. Then work the mirror back and forth several times to loosen it up. You will have more leverage while the door is in place.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will apply WD-40 next time after unscrewing the bolt from under the mirror. Hope that works. Thanks. I thought I would have to buy a new set of mirror just for the new relocation brackets.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try putting the bolt back in (not all the way) and tap with a hammer
I manged to pull mine off, but hit myself in the chin with it
Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep. Just muscle it out of there. Takes some wiggling and rattling and a good smack in the face the first time.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's get easier to each time. Becareful getting em out the 1st time. I ended up cracking myself in the face and getting a bloody nose. Now they come off pretty easily but man was I feeling stupid.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're talking about the rugged ridge mirror relocation brackets, it's probably best not to remove the door before trying to take off the mirror.

My experience was as follows (Full doors) - you don't say what brand of bracket you have but following these instructions worked for me

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/86728.pdf

Before doing anything else, remove the 40 torx blot under the mirror.
With the door on and shut firmly, grasp the mirror housing firmly with both hands and twist.

It takes a reasonable twist but came off easily enough for me.

The you can undo the bolts on the inside of the door which hold the remaining bit of the mirror on.

Mount the new brackets last as this means they're not in the way if you slip - if you mount those up first then there's a chance when the mirror comes free that you will whack your knuckles. (Ask me how I know )

Steve
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Take the bolt out and give the mirror a good tap with the palm of your hand. Works every time.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by riverzendz
Take the bolt out and give the mirror a good tap with the palm of your hand. Works every time.
I did this too. Except i cracked the black shell of the mirror off the actaully mirror. Be careful i had to apoxy mine back together
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you want a spare one let me know - I bought an extra set thinking originally that I'd leave mirrors on both the full doors and a set of half doors that I subsequently put together. That was a bad idea so now I have a rugged ridge relocation bracket set and two spare mirrors.

For a modest price you can have both of them. PM me if you're interested.

(Does anyone else want to take a bet that if I get rid of them then I will demolish mine on the first tree I drive past when there is no longer a spare in my garage.)

Quick Reply: Side mirror removal... but how?