Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Simple/Cheap Modification Suggestions for Stock Carrier

Old 03-15-2019, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple/Cheap Modification Suggestions for Stock Carrier

I have an 08 pretty much completely stock. It has served me well for the last decade with few issues. Unfortunately, one issue I have had to deal with is the stock spare tire carrier. Even with rotations, the lugs have frozen on and subsequently broken off. I have 1 of 3 original bolts still on my carrier. I have it rigged to hold the spare and it is safe, but I have it in the shop for a few weeks and am looking for a more permanent (albeit cheap) solution.

I looked into just swapping out the carrier for (~$100), but I feel like I may end up in the same situation. Another thought I had was to buy a relocation plate and have it welded to the stock carrier.

Looking for some insight/feedback.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Get rid of it, carry on board air and a plug kit and think about AAA. Why carry around the extra weight all the time.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Thought about using just a little anti-seize on the studs? I'd just press in 2 new studs, put a little lube on em, and roll on. (I'd never lube actual wheel studs).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue at hand. You're not having an 800 lb gorilla help you with those lugs every time right?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thought about using just a little anti-seize on the studs? I'd just press in 2 new studs, put a little lube on em, and roll on. (I'd never lube actual wheel studs).

Yep, what this guy said ^^^^

A little anti-seize goes a long ways to keep stuff from rusting together.

@resharp001 No worries about using it on the actual wheel studs. If everything is clean and torqued properly, a little anti-seize will help protect the actual wheel studs too.

There are those that will argue either way. I've used it on wheel studs for many years and have never had any issues.

Last edited by Tech Tim; 03-15-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Simple/Cheap Modification Suggestions for Stock Carrier