Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP! Door alignment issue after being rear-ended

Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Door alignment issue after being rear-ended

Trying to prevent being screwed by the body shop working on my jeep after I was rear-ended. I was hit while I was stopped by someone going about 20mph. There was visible damage to the bumper, spare tire carrier, and stock tow hook. The tailgate doesn't have any visible damage from being hit but the left side of the door doesn't line up flush with the body. It is flush by the bumer but sticks outwad about 3/16th of an inch at the top. This this coincides with the way my spare tire looked after being smashed and the bracket broken I can only assume this alignment issue is also a result. The body shop says that since there is no other evidence the door was damaged they will only replace it if it comes out of my own pocket rather than the insurance of the other driver.

Am I crazy here? I went to the jeep dealer and looked at six new unlimiteds and all the doors were aligned perfectly. It doesn't appear to be much adjustment that can be done. Thoughts? Any idea how to link this to the accident or truly would you see other damage if this was the case?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep..jpg
Views:	385
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	77754  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

they should line up pretty good, hell even after removing and reinstalling my hinges the doors lined up , the drivers door has to be slammed real hard to get the door light to go off, but they all look fine from the outside.

I would take it back, chances are there is going to be big bucks to realign your frame or something like that... something they didn't put in the initial estimate.

Have fun fighting with the insurance companies
Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a latch adjustment. It isn't hard to get the tailgate out of alignment, whatever it is, something got damaged or tweaked (obviously). I haven't had any issues with insurance work, and they should replace whatever necessary to return the vehicle to its original state.

That picture is definitely off, I know when I welded my rear cage in the tailgate got harder to shut. Meaning something in your body definitely has moved.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something was pushed out of alignment with the rear-ender. That is not normal. There needs to be some adjustment. With it being pushed out at the top I would look at your lower passenger Hinge to see if it has been pushed in or tweeked from the rear-ender.

Insurance should be paying for the adjustment.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

that happened to a buddy of mine, he was rear ended and the doors wouldnt shut right because the frame had twisted, dont know how hard you were hit but i would check, get the insurance to pay for all the damage done to your jeep dont settle for less. the person that rear ends someone else is completely at fault and liable for any and all damage.

Quick Reply: HELP! Door alignment issue after being rear-ended