JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   slave cyl (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/slave-cyl-351015/)

lowendrider 07-09-2019 04:13 AM

slave cyl

Starting a week or so ago, when I sit in traffic with the clutch pressed in for a long time, it become hard to shift ( pull into neutral). Its almost like the clutch is engaged a little. Once I start moving, pressing the clutch in and out all is fine. I figure the slave cyl is on its way out. Thoughts?

I figure I'll go ahead and replace the slave this weekend. Any tips or tricks on installing or getting it bled?

karls10jk 07-09-2019 07:43 AM

I can't say if it's the slave but I've done mine a few times. Remove the two nuts on the side of the trans and try not to lose the little cup on the end of the plunger. It's clipped onto the plunger but it can come off easily. Slide the unit out and rotate it up (because you're still connected to the hydraulic line). Disconnect the hydraulic line and quickly connect it to the new one. Make sure you remove the rubber nipple in your new one otherwise it'll really fight you. I put some good grease on the tip of the cup as well as under the cup, but there should already be grease under the cup. Slide the unit back in, again, curving to work with the hydraulic line. Once it's in then top off your fluid and you can start the bleeding process. **It is important to note that this isn't like brakes where you pump rapidly** go slowly, take your time. I did mine with the front end down and the back end up in the air, trying to get any air bubbles out of the slave and directed towards the reservoir.

TheDirtman 07-10-2019 04:32 AM

Check under the dash and see if it is leaking. I replaced mine last year.
Very easy fix.

lowendrider 07-10-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4345103)
Check under the dash and see if it is leaking. I replaced mine last year.
Very easy fix.

What am I checking under the dash for?

lowendrider 07-10-2019 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4345057)
I can't say if it's the slave but I've done mine a few times. Remove the two nuts on the side of the trans and try not to lose the little cup on the end of the plunger. It's clipped onto the plunger but it can come off easily. Slide the unit out and rotate it up (because you're still connected to the hydraulic line). Disconnect the hydraulic line and quickly connect it to the new one. Make sure you remove the rubber nipple in your new one otherwise it'll really fight you. I put some good grease on the tip of the cup as well as under the cup, but there should already be grease under the cup. Slide the unit back in, again, curving to work with the hydraulic line. Once it's in then top off your fluid and you can start the bleeding process. **It is important to note that this isn't like brakes where you pump rapidly** go slowly, take your time. I did mine with the front end down and the back end up in the air, trying to get any air bubbles out of the slave and directed towards the reservoir.

Was it easy enough to bleed? Did you do it while loose or after bolted back up?

TheDirtman 07-10-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lowendrider (Post 4345110)
What am I checking under the dash for?

That’s where your slave cylinder is. It’s hooked to the clutch pedal.

karls10jk 07-10-2019 08:18 AM

It wasn't too bad to bleed- you stil need the hose going into the brake fluid so you don't ingest any extra air. Definitely did when when it was bolted back into place. You'll want to do the same because it puts out significant pressure.

Dirtman- slave is on the side of the trans, isn't it the master that's at the end of the pedal? That's where the hydraulic line from the slave goes, right?

tjkamp 07-10-2019 09:45 AM

Both times I had to change mine on my 2013: changing it was easy, bleeding it was a royal pain, even with a vacuum pump. I'd rather take an @$$ whooping than do that again.

TheDirtman 07-11-2019 04:11 AM

Yes I had the two mixed up. The Master is under the dash hooked to the pedal, the slave in the bell housing. Either one can leak and cause the issue.

HostileJK 07-12-2019 01:23 PM

Make sure the new one comes with the little seal for the quick connect fitting or you will have to use the one from your old one. Also pop the little pivot end off the new one and put grease in the little cup on the back side of it and reassemble and put grease on the tip of the pivot as well so you don't end up with a creaky clutch.

I find once the line is on the slave and the brake fluid res is full you can wear a heavy glove and push the plunger in slowly several times to pump the air up and out of the reservoir to bleed the slave before installing it, easiest way and you don't even have to mess with the bleed screw.