Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whining after getting it muddy

Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining after getting it muddy

Have a 2012 wrangler sport, and there is a whine. Specifically it comes from the engine compartment and is actually kind of loud. It was quiet, until I got it muddy this afternoon. Anyone have any issues or fixes with this?

Also, best ways to clean the issue? I guess I got some dirt in places there isn't supposed to be dirt .
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Problem with mud is that it gets into hidden places. Try cleaning your belts with some type of degreaser and check to see if any is in the intake. Give the filter an inspection. You can also give the engine a "bath", just cover up exposed electrical components… I try to avoid mud unless it's in my direct path on the trail...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could be mud in your pulley bearings. I had that issue. Easy fix if that's what it is.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a good reason to avoid mud. I hate mud
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

I'll be more wary about mud from now on. The whine pitch seems to change with the RPMs, which I found as odd. Turning the wheel also affected the pitch. I'll be blasting it with a light pressure wash tomorrow and then double checking everything so hopefully it goes back to the white ride I had.

I took it through a gigantic puddle, and honestly I'm surprised I didn't bog down . It looks like the water washed over my hood. Still, I can't resist mud, of any opportunity to get my jeep dirty. I haven't even modified it yet.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this once... same whine you described replaced the power steering pump.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
I did this once... same whine you described replaced the power steering pump.
After getting it muddy just once? Note that the whine is present even if I'm not turning the tire, the pitch of the whine just seems to drop.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes I went through a deeo muddy water puddle that went to the hood back when I bought my old 07jk. Started whining. Noise got worse and did it when turning the wheel as well. Replaced the pully and it went away. Then a day later started whining again and made a different kind of whine tham before when turning the wheel. Took it back to shop and they replaced the power steering pump. And it was fixed for good after that
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

You might want to change power steering fluid before it's to late. Sound like water got in it. I'd at least check it to see.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

I checked all fluids, and they're good. The caps were on firmly on the top of the engine. Also checked the belt, just visually, but it LOOKED clean, but when the engines on, that's where it sounds like the whine is coming from. Im going to drop into the dealer since it's still under warranty and see what we can do about it.

Quick Reply: Whining after getting it muddy