JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Snapped bolt water pump (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/snapped-bolt-water-pump-350569/)

EHarris 06-09-2019 11:24 AM

Snapped bolt water pump

1 Attachment(s)
Damn it. Kinda stuck now.

jadmt 06-09-2019 12:54 PM

hit it with a small torch and wick some candle wax into the threads and then use a vise grips to turn it out. ez peasy. haven't your been having a tough time with broken bolts lately? use a smaller wrench to tighten things up and when loosen them use a little heat first and turn then out gently.

EHarris 06-09-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt
hit it with a small torch and wick some candle wax into the threads and then use a vise grips to turn it out. ez peasy. haven't your been having a tough time with broken bolts lately? use a smaller wrench to tighten things up and when loosen them use a little heat first and turn then out gently.

I'm gonna try the torch in a bit. Got a buddy going to pick one up for me.

No luck with Kroil and vice grips. No luck with using a dremel to make a slot and then use a screw driver.

My first broken bolt. Al the rest came out pretty easy.

jadmt 06-09-2019 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by EHarris (Post 4343420)
I'm gonna try the torch in a bit. Got a buddy going to pick one up for me.

No luck with Kroil and vice grips. No luck with using a dremel to make a slot and then use a screw driver.

My first broken bolt. Al the rest came out pretty easy.

use the candle wax trick. local exhaust shop turned me on to that and it works.

EHarris 06-09-2019 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I welded two bolts onto it. Still no go.

EHarris 06-09-2019 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So no luck with the easy out. I've put a torch on it. Nada. Nothing.

I need professional help. Anyone from the so cal area Orange County (currently sitting in Garden Grove) that knows of a shop or a person that comes out to do this type of stuff? This is gonna cost me. Worst part is it's covered under lifetime powertrain and I was just replacing before a bunch of long trips this summer. The dealer did it last 100k ago.

jadmt 06-09-2019 04:57 PM

did you try the candle wax before messing it up with the ez out (should be called never outs or difficult outs)?

EHarris 06-09-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt
did you try the candle wax before messing it up with the ez out (should be called never outs or difficult outs)?

I didn't try the candle wax only because I watched a YouTube video that tested if that theory worked and it said it didn't. Plus I didn't have a candle. In theory the wax should follow the threads down like penetrating fluid would. I started using Kroil last week on the bolts before I started this job and hit them everyday. I expected one to get stuck or snap but this last one will not budge at all. I'll try the wax in the morning. It's up at my shop at work right now.

EHarris 06-09-2019 08:56 PM

Ok after a few beers I have some questions about trying to get this done myself.

To drill out this bolt straight what would be the best tool set up? I can run pneumatic tools but they seem like they might spin too fast. Diamond bit or carbide? in a few sizes up to just before the shaft diameter? Use calipers to make sure my last size bit is just before diameter of one of the other screws? Keep drilling it out until it dissolves or breaks out. Blow it all out with air and then re tap?

Mopar 6101451 Hex Head Bolt and Washer, M6x1.00x25.00

Mr.T 06-09-2019 09:12 PM

Usually mild heat (torch) plus Kroil does the trick. Aluminum has about twice the coefficient of expansion, so heat the Al and heat-sink the steel bolt with a cold pair of vice grips, and try to turn it.

That failing, look up HeliCoil -- Basicially one drills out the bolt, including the threads in the front cover, to the specified size, tap new threads, insert HeliCoil, and it's better than new. Long time ago I even used HeliCoils on all 8 spark plug holes in some aluminum heads while they were off as cheap insurance.

Edit: Regarding the drill bit, obviously don't break it off, get it centered, and don't go deeper than the original hole in the front cover. As to what drill bit type, take a file to the bolt and see how hard it is. If if files well, any good quality bit (not HF) will work. Avoid cobalt and other bits meant for harder metal unless necessary because they are more brittle and tend to break with a hand drill. Make sure it's center punched well before drilling.

:cheers: