Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snapped bolt water pump

Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm a helicoil fan, too. A friend of mine uses something which, instead of looking like a tightly spaced spring, is more like a thin tube with threads inside and out. He prefers them. Principal is the same. For this use, recommend the Helicoil set with their tap unless you have a bottoming tap. Most general use tap sets won't suffice because they are tapered, not bottoming.
Mark has a good point about a bottoming tap -- If the HeliCoil tap is a starting tap or plug tap and you want/need the threads deeper, tap the hole as far as it goes in, then grind some off the face/nose of the tap and turn it into a bottoming tap to get the threads a bit deeper.

Last edited by Mr.T; 06-11-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I'd use Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket/sealer #3 -- And only a very thin amount on the side of the mopar gasket that doesn't have the sealer on it already. This is what I've used for decades on cooling system flanged gaskets, including the JK water pump.

Silicone takes 24 hours to dry, and it's a bit too viscous for my taste on a flange like the water pump with low torque, in other words it may not squeeze out evenly. If you decide use silicone, it works as long as it's rated for antifreeze (see the package or mfg website) -- But take extra care with a small and even amount on the side of the gasket without the sealer already on it, and wait 24 hours before adding coolant.

Mr. T I looked for this and couldn't find any locally. I'd have to order it on amazon or similar but then i would have to wait a day or two for it to come in. Where do you get it from?

Edit***

I think I found it at O'Reilly's:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../80017/4610377

Last edited by EHarris; 06-11-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a good pic of the gaskets. I didn't realize the mopar one came with it in the box so I have two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo434.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	677385  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EHarris
Mr. T I looked for this and couldn't find any locally. I'd have to order it on amazon or similar but then i would have to wait a day or two for it to come in. Where do you get it from?

Edit***

I think I found it at O'Reilly's:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../80017/4610377
NAPA usually has it too, most parts stores will have it -- Old-school, but very popular.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr.T
NAPA usually has it too, most parts stores will have it -- Old-school, but very popular.
Ok I'll give it a try. I'll probably still let it sit without coolant in it for a half day while it cures. I'll make sure the surface is nice and cleaned up too. I have a lot of long trips in hot weather coming up this summer so I wanted a fresh water pump and coolant before I left. I'll make sure to bring a new gasket for sure just in case but hopefully if all goes well I won't need it.

I would assume if there was a problem the pump would start leaking within a week.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ok so something that came to mind. First, I have successfully tapped the hole. It was a little loose through the first couple of threads but gets much tighter at the end. I had 4 extra bolts so I cut one down so it simulates the thickness of the water pump and threaded it in the tapped hole and it held the 105in/lbs of torque. I think I'm good without the helicoil.

Second I think I'm going to just install and use the mopar gasket without any RTV type of any kind. The service manual says if it is the mopar gasket nothing is needed and I am still under the lifetime powertrain warranty and I don't want them to void it because I didn't follow procedure. Helicoils and RTV could potentially void this warranty especially at 163k.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
... I cant tell if there is a product called "the right stuff" ...
For future reference ...

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

Works for me and my mechanic friends.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
For future reference ...

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

Works for me and my mechanic friends.
Thanks mark. Can this be used for high temp and diffs also? I've seen this before for sure. I think Eddie from the old days (WayofLife) used to swear by this stuff also.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Well it's complete. Didn't use RTV and followed the manual perfectly with torque specs ect....

It held the pressure test with my airlift so I added my coolant and all is well. No leaks.

Thank you to all who helped me out with this. Love this forum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo65.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	677386  
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (06-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Snapped bolt water pump