Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Frankenstein

Old 07-12-2019, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your help! Got it installed last night and looking good!

In need of a good washing though!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Fitz
In need of a good washing though!
Eww gross, why would you do that to such a beautiful Jeep! hint: only acceptable answer is "to clean the art canvas and start over"

Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

As long as you're not too tied up in the soft top, I'd say you did pretty well putting the two together. Those vinyl tops are good temporary tops- temporary being anywhere from 1-5 years. You can make them last but they really have a definite lifespan which is why I encourage folks to plan for it. I went to the premium top after 5 years of vinyl tops and I won't go back. I have bought the premium tops locally when they're for sale just so someone doesn't trash it. I've got two currently sitting in my attic as spares for when my soft top and my girlfriend's soft top needs replacing.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
As long as you're not too tied up in the soft top, I'd say you did pretty well putting the two together. Those vinyl tops are good temporary tops- temporary being anywhere from 1-5 years. You can make them last but they really have a definite lifespan which is why I encourage folks to plan for it. I went to the premium top after 5 years of vinyl tops and I won't go back. I have bought the premium tops locally when they're for sale just so someone doesn't trash it. I've got two currently sitting in my attic as spares for when my soft top and my girlfriend's soft top needs replacing.
Bah, I rocked my OG vinyl for a good 8 years before replacing it with another vinyl 2 years ago. Now my plastic window upper doors (factory half)... those cracked clean in half in half on like the 3rd or 4th winter and the current ones are starting to go the same way

-edit- all kidding aside, I would love a premo top but cant justify the expense while my current 200 dollar top is holding up just fine. COME ON COLORADO HAIL!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you got 8 years out of a vinyl top then you're doing much better than those things are expected to do. I feel you on the windows, I had a set on my TJ and I was concerned about folding and cold weather. Premium tops are nice but you've got to get the right price. I found one on eBay for $150, but I had to drive to pick it up. I pieced it out and came out ahead while keeping the canvas and windows.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

To be fair, that old top leaked like hell from day 1 thanks to the horrible design on the early JK's. Zero issues with the updated canvas so far though, and that includes WA rain and CO heat. But, like i said, still praying for that freak hail storm while I am at work so I can use the insurance money to buy a "used" premium

edit: Oh look, hail! And here i only have a bikini up today

Last edited by BoredKender; 07-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Frankenstein