Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

soft top tension cable

Old 12-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CABLE-FOLDING TOP COVER TENSION | Genuine Mopar | 68067961AB

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-mopar/6...str=68067960AB
Doesn't look that bad like stated above... Just so you are aware these are sided. Drivers/Passengers side etc...

Chris
Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Replaced the cable today after reading this thread

My driver's side tension cable broke right at the front bracket. I looked everywhere for instructions. None in the replacement parts kit. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a nylon fish tape (used to pull wiring) for lest than $7. I inserted it into the back of the channel, it went to the front with no problem. I hooked the spring of the new cable to it. Pulled it through. I attached the front bracket. Folded back the top and attached the spring to the attachment point in the back. I did cut a small slot in the plastic cover (hidden from view) that shields the spring. This allowed me to maneuver the spring to fit into the attachment hole and then into proper position. If you do the repair, you'll see what I mean. Glad it's done!!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Phatpastor
My driver's side tension cable broke right at the front bracket. I looked everywhere for instructions. None in the replacement parts kit. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a nylon fish tape (used to pull wiring) for lest than $7. I inserted it into the back of the channel, it went to the front with no problem. I hooked the spring of the new cable to it. Pulled it through. I attached the front bracket. Folded back the top and attached the spring to the attachment point in the back. I did cut a small slot in the plastic cover (hidden from view) that shields the spring. This allowed me to maneuver the spring to fit into the attachment hole and then into proper position. If you do the repair, you'll see what I mean. Glad it's done!!
I just had the same issue with my driver side tension cable. Does anyone know how the cable attached at the front to the header bar? The rear is no problem as you can easily see the spring but no idea how it attaches to the front. My dealer wanted to charge me $1800 for a new top. not to mention these parts are not available in Canada (dealer or after market). Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The drivers side tension cable broke several months ago on my '11. The front attaches to a triangular bracket which is attached to the front header bar with 3 screws (IIRC). The rear is attached to a spring that attaches to the soft top frame which is covered with a piece of material that has snaps on it to keep it in place. After looking at the condition of the factory cover which was the original (I bought my JK used); I decided to purchase the replacement Quadratec Premium soft top with tinted windows. The removal of the old soft top and installation of the Quadratec soft top took about 3 hours by myself. If you are 6' tall (I am 5'6"); the removal and installation may take less time.
Originally Posted by mszallen
I just had the same issue with my driver side tension cable. Does anyone know how the cable attached at the front to the header bar? The rear is no problem as you can easily see the spring but no idea how it attaches to the front. My dealer wanted to charge me $1800 for a new top. not to mention these parts are not available in Canada (dealer or after market). Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Replacing tension cable

I replaced both of mine within four months of putting a new top on. The Smittybilt that I ordered had crap tension cables so I had to pay for new ones through Quadratec. Simple easy to replace. There are tons of YouTube videos out there that hope as well. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish to replace one side
QUOTE=JeepPackerGurl;4016657]Alright guys, I tried searching first and didn't seen anything so I need some help. My driver side soft top tension cable snapped in half. Anyone know how to replace it? Been debating on purchasing a new cable if it's now a pain in the a** to do.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: soft top tension cable