Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top under Hard Top

Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is pretty easy to unbolt the brackets for the soft top and switch. When my Rubi was new, I did get the soft top out without taking the hard top off. I just don't recall what the issues were (meaning it must have been relatively easy or I'd remember). I switch between the hard and soft pretty frequently. I can even get the hard top on and off my myself (now that I have practiced.)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi
I can even get the hard top on and off my myself (now that I have practiced.)
Is this done with a pulley system in your garage ?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

No. After i unbolted it, I slid it back (after I got the pegs clear), then slid it onto my back. It isn't unbearably heavy--just awkward to balance. I did it on the driveway and just put it on the grass next to the driveway. Of course with help it is easier. My kids and I have no trouble with it. I still have to provide the back muscle---they provide steadying hands.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

No. After i unbolted it, I slid it back (after I got the pegs clear), then slid it onto my back. It isn't unbearably heavy--just awkward to balance. I did it on the driveway and just put it on the grass next to the driveway. Of course with help it is easier. My kids and I have no trouble with it. I still have to provide the back muscle---they provide steadying hands.
You should put this on "youtube" it will get lots of hits.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

i used to do it but my jeep kept gettin lifted and my legs stayed the same so me and my hard top did a body slam from the top rope...not a fun day
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

there are videos from people taking the jk tops off alone. I remember 2 rite off top my head.

I put the quick release joint things where the soft top bolts to the roll bar bracket. Now I just have to pull the pin instead of getting a tool out. Made life a little easier.

Quick Reply: Soft Top under Hard Top