Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Some issues with my steering/suspension

Old 12-13-2018, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some issues with my steering/suspension

I have a 2008 2dr X wrangler. I just got new tires put on today and they could not do an alignment due to both lower and upper ball joints being bad on both sides. I also recently have had death wobble when turning to the right at higher speeds (interstate only) prior to the new tires. I'm assuming the death wobble correlates with badly worn ball joints, but since this is my first jeep I am looking for a little guidance.

Since I am mechanically inclined I figured I would tackle this ball joint project myself and go ahead and change by brake pads in the process. Is there anything else you would recommend me check and/or replace while I am doing this? Overall I am saving over $1000 in labor doing it myself and while it is jacked up I might as well replace anything else needed.

I did find this link with some great information so I will start here and rule out any components that seem to be fine: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/d...les-78034.html

I appreciate the help.

Last edited by dev20tx; 12-13-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

They should be able to give you a read out even with worn ball joints. This way you know if you need off set ball joints to correct and castor or camber issues you might have.
You should also check your track bar mounts, both at the axle and the frame. Make sure the mounting holes are are not wollard out. Torque to 130 flbs.
Check your tie rod ends. Check your unit bearins while you have the rotors off.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. Is this something I can check to know if I need off set ball joints? I put it up on jack stands and sure enough there is a little play in the joints (moving up and down) but not terrible. Definitely enough to need replaced though.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dev20tx
<snip> ... there is a little play in the joints (moving up and down) but not terrible. Definitely enough to need replaced though. <snip>
The spec for up/down is <0.050" (1/16" = 0.062). Mine had about 0.027" last check, and even that can "feel" like a lot -- but it's well within spec. Here's some pics using a dial indicator for this. Might want to quantify that play before going ahead.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was having some steering problems, but the garage found wear within specs for the ball joints. Frustrated, we changed them anyway - problem solved.

I have had some experience with Death Wobble. Tire pressure (which drops in the severe cold), the steering stabilizer (my two have lasted 50K each before contributing to DW), and any other kind of wear in the front end. Also, I currently have a wobbling tire due to some poor wear on a new tire. Just today, I felt the beginnings of DW, so it's time to get ahead of the problem.

DW occurs when you have just the right combination of things making everything start shaking - it's a little like small waves combining into a big one. It's usually much more than just one thing.

Quick Reply: Some issues with my steering/suspension