Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spider Gears spider pieces

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider Gears spider pieces

Was changing out my rear diff fluid the other day and just after pulling the plug, out popped a glob of metal chunks. Once I realized what I was looking at I pulled the cover and found more. I used brake cleaner and got everything shiny and then inspected the R & P. They looked to be just fine so I shoved my head in a bit further and put the light on the spider gears only to find them chewed up on damn near every end of the teeth. I wish that I would have had a good digital camera handy to get a shot of the spider gears but I don't. Here are the pieces,
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	328714

Dropped it off at the dealership to get it fixed along with the Cruise Control. They are replacing the spider gears and the cruise contol assy. They said it was the first time that they had seen the spider gears do this on a Wrangler. We'll see what they have to say when I go to pick it up in a couple days.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Egad, that would scare me if I saw that in my diff fluid! Hope they get it all fixed up for you!

Quick Reply: Spider Gears spider pieces