Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spun bearing - major engine repair

Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DocRasco
When we last left our story Ole Doc was up poop creek without a way of propelling himslef around obstacles.

So, at first it was a hard "NO,we aren't gonna help pay for the repairs in any way". After FINALLY speaking with Melanie ( my case mangager) and explaining my concerns sternly,but respectfully she made the decision to contact the dealer service manager via email and confirm the nature of the damage and possibility of Jeep/Chrysler being at fault. Now, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Meaning is she just stringing me along and playing the game or is she hopefully exhausting every possible solution to justify an "out of warranty" claim. I did express my willingness to pay the $500 "good will deductible" I had heard about if they agreed to stand by their product. I have always been a jeep fan...even before I was able to legally drive(wrangler specifically). I sincerely hope to be after this whole unfortunate mess is in my JK's rear view mirror. So, to sum up..its a no for now pending decision to overturn the original decision.You guys think she'd BS me?I mean, tyhis nice lady says no to people all day long for a living. Why would she drag it out longer,right?

What ever happened??
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DocRasco
When we last left our story Ole Doc was up poop creek without a way of propelling himslef around obstacles.

So, at first it was a hard "NO,we aren't gonna help pay for the repairs in any way". After FINALLY speaking with Melanie ( my case mangager) and explaining my concerns sternly,but respectfully she made the decision to contact the dealer service manager via email and confirm the nature of the damage and possibility of Jeep/Chrysler being at fault. Now, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Meaning is she just stringing me along and playing the game or is she hopefully exhausting every possible solution to justify an "out of warranty" claim. I did express my willingness to pay the $500 "good will deductible" I had heard about if they agreed to stand by their product. I have always been a jeep fan...even before I was able to legally drive(wrangler specifically). I sincerely hope to be after this whole unfortunate mess is in my JK's rear view mirror. So, to sum up..its a no for now pending decision to overturn the original decision.You guys think she'd BS me?I mean, tyhis nice lady says no to people all day long for a living. Why would she drag it out longer,right?

What was the outcome???
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Spun Bearing

I bought my 2007 Jeep in 2009. I traded in my Subaru thinking I would be helping the country by purchasing an American made vehicle at a time when Chrysler needed it most. I am the second owner and I purchased it with 19K miles. I have has nothing but problems with it. By 28K the instrument cluster needed replacing. By 33K the EGR valve needed to be replaced. I have experienced the "Death Wobble" at least a dozen times. Now at 41K I might need a new engine. I called Chrysler and they said that I am 5K over my Warranty. When I asked about the lifetime power-train, they said that warranty is for the first time buyer only. Now I have a junk jeep that has major engine knocking at 41K miles. Oil has been changed every 3K miles. I am so dissappointed in this vehicle and with Chrysler. I will be writing my elected officials at congress and senate letting them know how Chrysler is treating the customers that helped bail them out. I will never by another Jeep product again in my life and I will be detering any family memeber and friend from doing so. This is bogus. Chrysler should admit thier is a problem and at least help with covering the costs of this major repair.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAINFRAME
I bought my 2007 Jeep in 2009. I traded in my Subaru thinking I would be helping the country by purchasing an American made vehicle at a time when Chrysler needed it most. I am the second owner and I purchased it with 19K miles. I have has nothing but problems with it. By 28K the instrument cluster needed replacing. By 33K the EGR valve needed to be replaced. I have experienced the "Death Wobble" at least a dozen times. Now at 41K I might need a new engine. I called Chrysler and they said that I am 5K over my Warranty. When I asked about the lifetime power-train, they said that warranty is for the first time buyer only. Now I have a junk jeep that has major engine knocking at 41K miles. Oil has been changed every 3K miles. I am so dissappointed in this vehicle and with Chrysler. I will be writing my elected officials at congress and senate letting them know how Chrysler is treating the customers that helped bail them out. I will never by another Jeep product again in my life and I will be detering any family memeber and friend from doing so. This is bogus. Chrysler should admit thier is a problem and at least help with covering the costs of this major repair.
Not sure how you'd figure buying a used jeep would help Chrysler corp, other than future parts purchases. Sounds like they took care of you twice under warranty. You're disappointed? Imagine all those that wrote letters to Congress and Senate about saving Chrysler and don't even own Chrysler vehicles. You have a 5 yr old vehicle 5k out of warranty and you'd get the same reply from any manufacturer.

Last edited by highwayman; 11-16-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default 08 with spun bearing

Here's another one, 08 JK with 110,000 miles. Dealer has new engine on the way. Luck for me I'm the original owner with the life time warranty.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

That's why I don't get rid of mine.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

My '08 has had a tick forever.
Rolled over 96K today, currently sitting off the highway, waiting for my dad to pick my son and me up.
Earlier, I could hear a knock when I pulled away from a stoplight.
A couple stoplights later, much more clatter and what sounded like the chirp of a spun bearing.
I have zero faith that Chrysler will honor my lifetime warranty. (original owner)
There are way too many stories of dealers/Chrysler giving owners the warranty runaround and I'm not willing to put $500 "diagnosis" money in their pockets to find out.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Got it apart and it was the #1 rod bearing that had spun.
Flakes of bearing material in the pan, very little iron "fuzz" on the plug when I drained the oil.

All of the other bearings were tight and solid, including the mains.

So weird that only one rod bearing was all that was wrong.
(well, other than the annoying tick that's always been there)
Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I went ahead and replaced the water pump, new timing kit, rebuilt the oil pump, replaced the crank because of an oval journal at the spun bearing, and replaced all the bearings.

No positive signs of what caused the bearing to go, but the scuffing (not the scratches from removal) on this cheap-@s$ plastic relief valve make me suspect it stuck open.

Oh, and getting the relief valve cap out was an SOB. I gave up on the prescribed (drill hole and use screw) method and took it to a machine shop.
He was certain the cap was part of the cover, but I told him to put more oomph in the slide hammer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reliefvalve.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	624902  

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 09-19-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Another one...

My '07 did it last year at 53k. Chrysler treated me as if I had the plague. Oil was clear and in spec at a gas fill up 30 miles before it spun. No assistance, no recourse but a decent trade in value, probably because the dealer could fix it without a retail markup and make good money on it. So, I traded it in. It's a Jeep thing... 😛

Quick Reply: Spun bearing - major engine repair