Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spun bearing - major engine repair

Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im all worried now, my jeep is a 2009 x...

im not sure but, is the power train warranty of the "bum engine" jeeps different than what i have?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Same problem here in Greece on my JK unlimited 3.8 they have changed only the spun bearings and nothing else more. But the noise isn't gone so what else needs to be changed in order to stop that horrible noise? The noise on my JK started in the middle of the guarantee but they have found out the problem when it expired Thank god i didn't pay anything but JEEP here in Greece avoids my problem telling me that will be gone by itself since they have replaced the old bearings
Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by heroicentaur
Same problem here in Greece on my JK unlimited 3.8 they have changed only the spun bearings and nothing else more. But the noise isn't gone so what else needs to be changed in order to stop that horrible noise? The noise on my JK started in the middle of the guarantee but they have found out the problem when it expired Thank god i didn't pay anything but JEEP here in Greece avoids my problem telling me that will be gone by itself since they have replaced the old bearings
The noise will never go away. It will only get louder till the motor locks up. I would take it back and let the dealer have it till its fixed. I would also call Chrysler and tell them what kind of work that the dealer did. I would go for a whole engine rebuild or a new engine.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with using 5w20 weight oil?

I've often thought that this oil does not have the film strength of heaver weight oils used in the past.

Personally I will never run anything lighter than 5w30 oil in mine. Especially in the summer heat while wheeling.

Thoughts??

Last edited by Uneasy Rider; 06-16-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Spun bearing - major engine repair

Damn mine has 43k on it and I hear the beginnings of that tap. I will be pissed if the motor goes since mine is an 07 and the warrentee is long gone. Going to have to hit the lottery so I can fix it with a hemi swap.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
I wonder if it has anything to do with using 5w20 weight oil?

I've often thought that this oil does not have the film strength of heaver weight oils used in the past.

Personally I will never run anything lighter than 5w30 oil in mine. Especially in the summer heat while wheeling.

Thoughts??
Yeah, I run 5W30 (Castrol Edge) in mine for that very reason. According to my service guy, manufacturers often specify thinner oil in colder countries to kinda kill two birds with one stone rather than specify seperate summer & winter grades. It never gets gets near freezing in winter where I live (Sydney, Aus) with temps between 25-40C (77-104F) for most of the year so 5W20 is just silly.

Most new vehicles manufactured here with V6 & inline 6 motors far newer in design to the JK's ancient V6 specify 10W30 or 15W40 viscocity. You can't even buy 5W20 off the shelf here, & the 5W30 I use is considered a high performance racing oil here & people always scratch their heads when I say I'm putting it in a Jeep!

Reading this & other posts has got me worried though. I always understood that the only way to get a spun bearing was to run a motor in a low oil or no oil situation (or overheat it & cook it), but people who appear to be completely anal about oil changes every 3000mi still seem to be having problems.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I dont want to listen anymore of this

Here chrysler-Jeep told me that they will need two months until the engine parts are delivered and fitted so they didnt suggest me to do this but to wait until the noise is off. I have send an email to USA chrysler-jeep i hope they will send back an email with good news. If they call me back to change the engine first thing to do is to change oil with something better and more frequent changes.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Bad news since i issued my problem with chrysler-jeep in Greece to the USA chrysler-jeep customer service they send me back that they can not help me out and i must contact with the Greek chrysler-jeep department that i am having problems with them
Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Soooo i noticed a slight rattle in my motor, sounds like a valve tap at idle but at 2500-3000rpm it also has another rattle so i took it to the dealer yesterday, tech comes out and instantly says its a piston noise and i need a new bottom end of my motor.......WHAT?.....theres only 68000km on the thing all the maintenance was done at the dealer except the 60000km which i did myself , oil change, air filter ,diff fluid check, i kept the reciepts.The oil change is recommended at 10000km ive been doing it with Mobil 1 synthetic every 5-6000 km Anyway the dealer tells me i need to go to the dealer i bought it from because they say because i did the 60000km maintenance myself that they will have trouble getting chrysler to pay for the repair. Im going to call the dealer i bought from today to see what they say but if this shit isnt covered "so help me god" they will have a detonator yellow JK drive full tilt into the show room. Anyone have advice to go to the dealer with?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Detonatorunlimited
Soooo i noticed a slight rattle in my motor, sounds like a valve tap at idle but at 2500-3000rpm it also has another rattle so i took it to the dealer yesterday, tech comes out and instantly says its a piston noise and i need a new bottom end of my motor.......WHAT?.....theres only 68000km on the thing all the maintenance was done at the dealer except the 60000km which i did myself , oil change, air filter ,diff fluid check, i kept the reciepts.The oil change is recommended at 10000km ive been doing it with Mobil 1 synthetic every 5-6000 km Anyway the dealer tells me i need to go to the dealer i bought it from because they say because i did the 60000km maintenance myself that they will have trouble getting chrysler to pay for the repair. Im going to call the dealer i bought from today to see what they say but if this shit isnt covered "so help me god" they will have a detonator yellow JK drive full tilt into the show room. Anyone have advice to go to the dealer with?
There is no legal ground for the dealer to say that. Warranty is warranty, and is binding for any dealer.
On the other hand, the service writer probably knows he doesn't have the skills in his shop to change an engine. You should take his advice.

Quick Reply: Spun bearing - major engine repair