Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spun bearing - major engine repair

Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ronjenx;1758203]There is no legal ground for the dealer to say that. Warranty is warranty, and is binding for any dealer.

Thanks Ronjenx its quotes like this that bring my blood pressure down, and your probably right this was the same dealer that i took to have my Ebrake ratchet assembly replaced and had 3 subsequent visits to repair shit they broke trying to replace the Ebrake.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

I also agree with ronjenx, take it to the original dealer you bought it from. I did that with mine. As far as the no proof of maintenance, that's total BS, and it should not be an issue. I did all my own fluid changes from brand new until the time of the spun bearing. I always used synthetic oil and was changing every 5k miles. When I contacted Chrysler corporate they never asked me to provide any proof that I did the service and at what intervals. The dealer asked, but did not ask me for proof.

Before the dealer starts anything let them know you plan to contact Chrysler corporate and all you need them to do initially is to make the diagnosis for you so you can then make the call. Then once Chrysler corporate comes back (hopefully) and says they will pay for the repair, then the dealer can do the actual work.

There still will probably be at least $500 out of your pocket for this, charged as "good will".
Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

so i just got back from a second opinion, the chrysler dealer on the other side of town, they just told me the rattle between 2500-3000 rpm is spark knock and the tapping at idle is perfectly normal for a 3.8 and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my motor. what to do ?.........im still going to take it the 200km to the dealer i bought it from for a third opinion, cant see how 1 dealer says its a piston noise and i need a new block and another says its perfectly fine?

will keep everyone posted with my progress wish me luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

P.S. Sorry OP for the hijack
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

No problem this is totally related to the noises I was hearing. Some motors will tick a little at idle (my wife's 2.7L Chrysler Cirrus w/ 100k miles has been doing it for over 10k miles now and no noticeable problems), whether or not it results in a complete failure is the big question. Personally I don't like hearing the tick and it tells me something is wrong. But that rattle in the 3000 rpm range is another thing. If you have the means to record or video tape the motor running and post it on YouTube that might help get other opinions... if anything it will give you a basis for comparison if you don't get any work done and can then compare if the noises are getting better or worse over time.

If you read earlier in the thread about my Jeep the tick started and kind of stayed the same sounding for a couple months. Then it was just one day on the expressway when it got very, very loud. I thought I lost the oil. Shortly after that I did get an oil pressure light and that was it, I had a flatbed tow it to the dealer I bought it from.

Hopefully they can repair whatever the noise is before that happens.

What is the dealer's solution to fixing the spark knock issue?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like its time to upgrade to a HEMI!!!!! Seriously the 3.6 is notorious for not lasting. The Dodge charger v-6 has the same engine in it and they have been having issues with the chargers also. The faster chrysler runs out of the surplus of 3.6's the faster they will put the penstars in the jeeps.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

the dealers solution to the spark knock is to change the gas, currently running regular, they said run medium grade gas, and i agree no noise coming from the motor is normal especially it it didnt have it before. I will have to wait till tomorrow morning for a third opinion.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
Sounds like its time to upgrade to a HEMI!!!!! Seriously the 3.6 is notorious for not lasting. The Dodge charger v-6 has the same engine in it and they have been having issues with the chargers also. The faster chrysler runs out of the surplus of 3.6's the faster they will put the penstars in the jeeps.
first off its a 3.8 not a 3.6 secondly a hemi is out of the question, for 1 i dont have the funds and 2 its my DD and the fuel consumption of the 3.8 is bad enough.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Sorry My Bad your right 3.8.. No serously though most places buying chargers for fleet use won't buy the v-6 because they won't last.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
What octane is it? Show them the owners manual where it says "this engine is designed to run on 87 octane fuel" if that is what you are running.
I was in the dealership the other day and guy came in with a 2010 and when the guy suggested that he upgrade his gas the guy told him that he already had and the noise was getting worse. Then the service mgr. tried telling him that his lifters had to be adjusted. Sounds like BS to me.

Quick Reply: Spun bearing - major engine repair