Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spun bearing - major engine repair

Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad Chrsler stepped up to the plate
Hope you feel good about keeping it & get many many years of great service out of your Jeep!!
Thanks for posting all of the facts.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2007

I just rolled home with a new to me X 2007..I hear a slight tick at idle from in the Jeep but nothing under the hood...I am hoping it is exhaust related as it is only there when I run the Jeep a while and then pull into the garage. Could that just be a dirty injector? God I hope so..should I try some injector cleaning stuff? I am so loosing sleep over reading these posts! Anyone?

Last edited by Sierrasam; 11-15-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes. That is not true.

"You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain
Limited Warranty if you are the first registered
owner or lessee for use of the vehicle sold and
delivered on or after July 26, 2007. Subsequent
owners or lessees, even if they are within the
same family or business, are not covered."

The end of the 2009 model year marked the end of the Life Time Powertrain Warranty.
My 07 was purchased 10/18/2007 I could have sworn it was only a 3 year 36k mile warranty am i wrong and if so how do I confirm its longer?

I am also in this boat btw. Mine gave no previous warning. See my post. I'm told by the dealer that I need a whole new engine at about 6 grand
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

All auto companies are in the buisness to make $$$$. Every time they correct something on a new model or drive train " engine, tranny, etc" , something else is will be wrong with the end product, due to the constant ways of saving money and using lighter weight materials to confirm to the newer MPG Government rules. This cat and mouse games of vehicle issues and cures will always be around.

Plus if every manfuactuer made vehicles that never broke down and needed service beyond the regular maintenance, how would they make their top dollar??? , when auto companies make most of their money and parts and labor.

At the end of the day, drive what you like, in this case our Jeeps, buy an extended service plan , try to do the general maintenace yourself using quality parts, cross your fingers.....

Look at all the issues that Toyota and Lexus is having lately, makes Chrysler look good...lol ,, Overall I think in the recent year , Chrysler is slowly geting better with their customer communications.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Be careful what oil filter you run. Some filters out there have poor drainback valves and allow the filter and housing to loose oil after shut down. When you crank up you will hear a few seconds of tappin or even a quick bottom end rumble. It only takes a few times of dry bearing contact to start the metal transfer and ultimately bearing failure down the road.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Engine KNOCK only 53K?

yep in the same boat, I have a 2007 4DR U,S with only 53K on it. Started to tick when I left from work and by the time I got home it sounded like an old Cummins Diesel...it was also schreeching like a turkey call ( only way I can describe the noise) had it towed to the dealership. A 500 dollar tear down then Chrysler said that they could not help me bc it was " too far " out of warranty.... the tech told me that #2 bearing was shot and also caused #'s 4 5 6 to break, all oil journals were clogged with metal debris, chunks of metal in oil pan, needed 5 new pistons, and the crank was warpped beyond use...WTF? how did i cause this to happen? So i have been fighting Chrysler and the dealership about this problem for over a week. I am going to e-mail chrysler all these posts from ppl with the simular situation. trust me i have been doing tons of research about all of this. hopefully I will win this battle and not going down without a fight....
Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm at 34k miles in mah 08'... I really hope I make it past 60k
Old 02-05-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

One way to keep track of engine health is to do random oil analysis. This will give you a good idea of what is going on inside of your engine.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by humdezign
My 07 was purchased 10/18/2007 I could have sworn it was only a 3 year 36k mile warranty am i wrong and if so how do I confirm its longer?

I am also in this boat btw. Mine gave no previous warning. See my post. I'm told by the dealer that I need a whole new engine at about 6 grand
Are you the first owner,ie did you buy it new? If no,3/36000 is it. If you bought it new,you have a "lifetime" 30 year warranty. Even if it's the 3/36000,all these documented failures work to your advantage,proving defects in manufacturing that are long-term.Someone mentioned a crankshaft spec change,which would bear out the oiling issue(no pun intended) 2010 & up have a 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty,I believe
Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Did your check engine ligth ever came on

Quick Reply: Spun bearing - major engine repair