Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Square Turn = Power Loss and Traction Control Warning

Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nateo1979
This happened to me on the freeway doing 70! I had the cruise control on and it died. I posted this not to long ago and no one really knows why!
I have a theory about yours because it has happened to me numerous times when in cruise control. Did you hit an expansion joint or an abrubt bump just before it happened? If so then I would surmise one wheel spun faster than the other because of bump therefore dropping you out of cruise. Just a theory so don't bet your life on it.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
I have a theory about yours because it has happened to me numerous times when in cruise control. Did you hit an expansion joint or an abrubt bump just before it happened? If so then I would surmise one wheel spun faster than the other because of bump therefore dropping you out of cruise. Just a theory so don't bet your life on it.
I've been thinking about that trying to figure out what it would have been to make the computer think that TCS (or RMS or whatever) needed to be engaged.

It was small-town side-streets, fairly smooth, no bumps, turned at 15 MPH tops. I wasn't playing Mario Andretti. About the only thing that I can think of is that I had to make the corner very square because of a congregation of people and cars at the corner. I was wondering if making it square like that caused the outer wheels rotation speed to exceed the inner wheel rotation speed by enough to trigger the system.

But that STILL does not explain whey it wouldn't turn itself off when I was driving straight again. This, IMO, is the real problem here.

This could really get someone killed, like a previous poster pointed out with their experience.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Made an appointment for Thursday. Service rep says no open TSBs or recalls on my vehicle (2012 Wrangler JKU Rubicon, 5/30/12 build).

Service rep claims that they can pull the history from the computer to see if it activated or not (and why) even though no codes were thrown.

I'll let you all know (if you're interested) what, if anything, that they find or repair. If they can resolve this on mine, maybe it'll help those others out there with similarly-random TCS activations. I'm not holding my breath, though -- this dealer should change their slogan to "cannot reproduce problem".
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default A mod?

Originally Posted by nvertflyer
All the granny nanny electronic b/s on the jk is crap...kind of feels like your a kid at go cart world and they are cutting off your gas because your going too fast...do your self a favor and disconnect your dynamics sensor and take away its ability to interfere with your driving.its purpose was a so called safety feature but in some situations it can be down right dangerous...
Any chance you could elaborate on this procedure?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper

That may of happened but good point!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gort
Made an appointment for Thursday. Service rep says no open TSBs or recalls on my vehicle (2012 Wrangler JKU Rubicon, 5/30/12 build).

Service rep claims that they can pull the history from the computer to see if it activated or not (and why) even though no codes were thrown.

I'll let you all know (if you're interested) what, if anything, that they find or repair. If they can resolve this on mine, maybe it'll help those others out there with similarly-random TCS activations. I'm not holding my breath, though -- this dealer should change their slogan to "cannot reproduce problem".
Yea fill us in after you go!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone with this problem rotated their spare in recently?

I was looking around for a solution to this, because I just had this problem again today except it was going across railroad tracks (not fast maybe 10mph) and it kicked on and wouldn't kick off.

I think I'm just going to have the TCS disabled.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE: Just got back from the dealer where they looked at the issue. Response is "cannot reproduce problem", as I expected. The claim made by the service rep that they could pull history from the computer even if it doesn't throw a code is apparently a load of BS. His response was "they couldn't find any codes" -- even though I clearly stated to him when I made the appointment that it did NOT light up the CEL or throw a code.

His only solution was "Bring it back in if it happens again and we can get the Chrysler engineers in the loop on it." Hey, at least they're working with me on it, so I guess it could be worse.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resurrection - same issue

I am resurrecting this thread, hoping that someone knows the cause.

I just bought a used 2013 JKU rubi, and this has happened to me twice in the last week. I turn a corner, and get on the throttle. The traction control light flashes, and there is no power. After getting on and off of the throttle a couple of times, it stops doing what it was doing and accelerates fine.

I want to find the issue and resolve it before my wife pulls out in traffic and gets into trouble.

Specs: 2013 JKU, Auto Trans, Lifted, 37's, 4.88's, Procal 1.5 set to correct for gears/tires

I have wheeled a 1999 Long Armed WJ in Moab for many years, and been active on Grand Cherokee sites, but this is my first post here. Looking forward to the Rubicon, and hoping to resolve this first issue with the Jeep. Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
I am resurrecting this thread, hoping that someone knows the cause. I just bought a used 2013 JKU rubi, and this has happened to me twice in the last week. I turn a corner, and get on the throttle. The traction control light flashes, and there is no power. After getting on and off of the throttle a couple of times, it stops doing what it was doing and accelerates fine. I want to find the issue and resolve it before my wife pulls out in traffic and gets into trouble. Specs: 2013 JKU, Auto Trans, Lifted, 37's, 4.88's, Procal 1.5 set to correct for gears/tires I have wheeled a 1999 Long Armed WJ in Moab for many years, and been active on Grand Cherokee sites, but this is my first post here. Looking forward to the Rubicon, and hoping to resolve this first issue with the Jeep. Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give.
That is the traction control doing it's job. If one of the rear tires breaks loose the TC light comes on and throttle is backed off as well as a brake may be applied slightly until traction is regained.

Quick Reply: Square Turn = Power Loss and Traction Control Warning