Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering issue

Old 04-07-2019, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering issue

I ha e a 2007 jku it was having issues with the steering so I changed the drag link. Before the change I could turn the wheel lock to lock when just sitting still with one finger now after the change it feels like I have no power steering at all. It had some bump steer that is why I changed it also after the change of the drag link I had to take some power steering flyid out as it seems like it was about to over flow
Old 04-07-2019, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

I let the Jeep sit and once cooled down the steering was like new after I drove it and it got hot it did the same thing any ideas
Old 04-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Sounds like the issue is related to the fluid temp. Have you done a fluid change recently? It takes standard Mopar ATF+4. You said you took some out, where is the fluid within the reservoir? It has a max and min line.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

The fluid level was fine but today it was warmer outside sobit seemed to get hot and higher that is why I took some out I bought it over the winter it seems odd. I am hoping it isn't a pump maybe just the fluid not sure what is in it I know it calls for atf 4 what happens if you mix power steering and atf 4 together? Could that be the issue as I have not filled it myself
Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Typically you'll find people using power steering and ATF+4' interchangeably. I'd replace as much of the fluid as you can and see if that helps your issue. It could be that your current fluid isn't the right viscosity at the higher temps. Mopar ATF+4 is relatively inexpensive.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

This isn't going to solve your steering issue, but since you might be buying some ATF4+ for the steering system, and since you just bought the jeep recently, you might consider just buying a couple gallons online (since cheaper), and changing the ATF in your transfer case (should be every 60k miles and often ignored) and draining/refilling your tranny fluid as well (adding a new filter in the process). I always error on the side of figuring a previous owner has ignored this maintenance unless you have direct knowledge it has been done. Same goes for gear oil front and back.

It sounds like this coinciding with the DL change may just be coincidence. It is a bit of an odd situation. I presume when you swapped that DL, you removed the old one, and without touching/moving things around you installed the new one matching up the length perfectly. There is no chance you moved the steering wheel at all in this process and now you have the steering box a bit off and the PS pump is fighting with it, causing the pump/fluid to overheat a bit as if you had it turned at full lock for a long time? I feel like that would be a real stretch and that you'd notice a problem in the steering.....just grasping at straws here.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

I dont think anything was moved at all and yes we matched up lenghts of the old with the new
Old 04-08-2019, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Could they have damaged the gear box taking off the tie rod at the pitman arm as they said they had to use a pickle fork to get it off I just find it odd that steers totally fine until it's hot
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon75
Could they have damaged the gear box taking off the tie rod at the pitman arm as they said they had to use a pickle fork to get it off I just find it odd that steers totally fine until it's hot
I know we're talking about the DL here even though you said the "tie rod". I wouldn't think that they did. Using a pickle fork on that pitman arm end is typically necessary due to the lack of space. It's not like you gotta hit that with an 800lb gorilla arm, so unlikely it impacted the sector shaft or steering box at all. If there was any damage to a steering box, I'd think that you'd have some other signals/symptoms.

I'm kinda at a loss, but agree with Karl that this sounds like the fluid is overheating for whatever reason, and that is diminishing the performance. The only thing I can think of that could cause the fluid to get hot would be a faulty pump maybe, but if that is the case it just has to be really crappy timing. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. If it were my jeep, I do think I'd start with changing the fluid as previously suggested, primarily cuz it's low cost and at that age it's probably a good idea anyhow. Then you have a baseline knowing what exactly is in it.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

I totally agree I think it's probably bad timing it's something with the pump as there are no other issues I am wondering if maybe something was added to the power steering fluid before it's just unfortunate as I need it tomorrow morning as my son will be taking a driving test and it's going to make a little bit more difficult for him but he'll be fine so I'm going to try and change out the fluid today

Quick Reply: Steering issue