Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Reservoir Replacement

Old 05-21-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Reservoir Replacement

My reservoir is leaking from the cap and has a slight hairline crack and I assumed it would be very easy to replace. Got the air box out of the way, removed the hose on the side of the reservoir but the lower, large hose, after loosening the clamp, will not budge. I can't get the reservoir out of the lower hose, seems as if it's sealed in there. I can't even move it slightly, despite getting a good grip with shop towels and twisting it. Anyone replace this unit before or have any tips? Thank you in advance. I thought I had a 10-15 minute job and I can't find a write-up anywhere online.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you remove the other end of the line it's stuck in? Might be easier to get it off if it where removed from the jeep.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that. I considered it but there really is quite a bit of room when you get the air intake box out of the way. But surely taking the whole hose and reservoir out of the Jeep would make it easier.

Anyway, went back at it today and succeeded by carefully wedging a pick around inside the connection. It's obviously glued from the factory, a lesson learned for me. I'm sure there's a better tool then what I used but I was able to keep from damaging either the hose or the reservoir housing.

Quick Reply: Steering Reservoir Replacement