JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Steering Stabilizer (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/steering-stabilizer-321210/)

USMC20yrs 05-02-2015 07:30 AM

Steering Stabilizer

I am seeking some of the expertize from those of you here. Will the steering stabilizer from a Rubicon fit a Sport?

Here is my thought;:thinking: a stock Sport comes with a 29" diameter tire, and a stock Rubicon comes with a 32.5" diameter tire. Therefore, if you are going to put a 33" diameter tire on a Sport, wouldn't it make sense to use the Rubicon stabilizer to assist the steering with the bigger tires?:dontknow2:

I know this may be a dumb question, however I am curious as to if there is a difference between the two stabilizers and if it would work.

Thanks in advance for your input.

nickjk33 05-02-2015 08:19 AM

I've heard from a lot of people that steering stabilizers are basically useless and only thing they will do is get hung up on things. Don't quote me on that because I too am fixing to replace mine but with aftermarket. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?? I would think it would fit though

DunnyBunny 05-02-2015 08:46 AM

Yes it will fit. If I'm not mistaken it's the same stabilizer for all models. If your properly aligned you don't even need a stabilizer.

DJ1 05-02-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs (Post 4094017)
I am seeking some of the expertize from those of you here. Will the steering stabilizer from a Rubicon fit a Sport?

Here is my thought;:thinking: a stock Sport comes with a 29" diameter tire, and a stock Rubicon comes with a 32.5" diameter tire. Therefore, if you are going to put a 33" diameter tire on a Sport, wouldn't it make sense to use the Rubicon stabilizer to assist the steering with the bigger tires?:dontknow2:

I know this may be a dumb question, however I am curious as to if there is a difference between the two stabilizers and if it would work.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I'm 99.99999% sure it's the same part # whether it's a Rubicon, Sahara, or a Sport. You can buy aftermarket stabilizers and even then it's all the same part #. They don't have specific models for each model of Wrangler let alone for tire size.

USMC20yrs 05-02-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by DJ1 (Post 4094042)
I'm 99.99999% sure it's the same part # whether it's a Rubicon, Sahara, or a Sport. You can buy aftermarket stabilizers and even then it's all the same part #. They don't have specific models for each model of Wrangler let alone for tire size.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure, so I figured it can't hurt to ask the folks who know. May have saved me some $$$ I can use else where.:thumbsup:

DJ1 05-03-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs (Post 4094075)
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure, so I figured it can't hurt to ask the folks who know. May have saved me some $$$ I can use else where.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

There's still much I haven't taken the time to read up / research on. It's a continuous learning process but it can't hurt to know about your rig. We were all the new guy at one time.

Not saying this is the 11th commandment but this is the typical stabilizer progression I've seen as people build up. Some people will skip groups and others could argue what's better than what, but IMO only based on what I've seen/researched....

OEM stabilizer --- 50/50 shock, dual stabilizers, or nitrogen charged stabilizer --- Fox ATS --- Hydro Assist --- Full Hydro

TheDirtman 05-03-2015 11:13 AM

People spend way too much time worrying about something they don't need. You really only see full hydraulic on dedicated trail rigs.

LKWJeeper 05-03-2015 11:16 AM

You're not going to notice a difference upgrading your stabilizer. You'd be fine keeping your current setup.

Billbikes 05-03-2015 01:53 PM

I still have my stock stabilizer on my '12 with 35's.
You might want to thing about a flip kit if you go off-road, though.