Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering wheel shake advice

Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering wheel shake advice

I thought I would share this as I see a lot of people that not only have this issue between 50 and 55 miles per hour I also see others confusing it with death wobble.

I have attached my latest Hunter Road Force balancing sheet to show you that it doesn't take much to be off to shake your front wheels. Luckily the shop 19 miles from me as a brand new machine.

So if you're having trouble with wheel Shake in your local shop just can't get it balanced I suggest getting Road Force balanced. Here is an easy way to locate what shops have them. https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
I hope this helps some of you .

PS they only charge $39.00 for all 4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15140535092527802533073089584494.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	676700  

Last edited by HostileJK; 12-23-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Price paid
Old 12-25-2017, 10:51 PM
JK Freak

Are you familiar with the phrase, "you can't polish a turd"? All the wheel weights in the world are not going to fix a bad tire or wheel.

You are correct. Shake in the steering wheel is a balance issue. What you don't tell us is what are you trying to balance? Have you watched the tires on the balancer? If they are wobbling, or bouncing on the machine, they're doing that on the road?

Check your rims, is one bent? Is an axle flange bent? Get your Jeep up in the air and check. Do you have leaking shocks? Bad shocks increase the transfer of tire movement and oscillation through the suspension. A good example of this is when you see a tire on a car going down the road hopping.

What tires are you running? Are they new? Old? Cheap? Are they truly round? Are they properly seated on the rim? Do they have strange wear patterns?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Are you familiar with the phrase, "you can't polish a turd"? All the wheel weights in the world are not going to fix a bad tire or wheel.

You are correct. Shake in the steering wheel is a balance issue. What you don't tell us is what are you trying to balance? Have you watched the tires on the balancer? If they are wobbling, or bouncing on the machine, they're doing that on the road?

Check your rims, is one bent? Is an axle flange bent? Get your Jeep up in the air and check. Do you have leaking shocks? Bad shocks increase the transfer of tire movement and oscillation through the suspension. A good example of this is when you see a tire on a car going down the road hopping.

What tires are you running? Are they new? Old? Cheap? Are they truly round? Are they properly seated on the rim? Do they have strange wear patterns?
I have checked for a bad tire and checked all the wheels and all seems good, the tires are half life Toyo Open Country AT2's and for some reason they seem to be getting harder to balance completely, but I do have offset Fuel wheels which only have the inner lip for balancing which makes them a little harder to balance correctly.

The road force balancer has been the only machine that seems to have done to trick and the last bit of shake is gone which is why I thought I would share. I seem to read that a lot of people have trouble with these Toyo's and balancing. It's getting new shoes in the spring though, Going back to BFG's which I have had on all my jeeps.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake advice