Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock clutch longevity?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, something as simple as backing up a hill with a little slip for control has been known to burn the stock clutch out.

I am over 130,000 on the original and probably just jinxed myself.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Just remember, something as simple as backing up a hill with a little slip for control has been known to burn the stock clutch out. I am over 130,000 on the original and probably just jinxed myself.
the reverse gear sucks. It need too much throttle. When I had my toy hauler, it would suck trying to back that thing up into a space. Whenever I was on gravel I would use 4Lo which would help.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I have almost 150k miles on the stock clutch no issues, no noise or squeaking.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
the reverse gear sucks. It need too much throttle. When I had my toy hauler, it would suck trying to back that thing up into a space. Whenever I was on gravel I would use 4Lo which would help.
That reverse gear is seriously stupid. I always use 4-lo for backing up trailers if I am not on pavement. Thought I was the only one!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
That reverse gear is seriously stupid. I always use 4-lo for backing up trailers if I am not on pavement. Thought I was the only one!
I actually posted a topic about how much I hated backing the trailer up and someone on this forum recommended 4LO. My driveway is loose stone, so I used 4lo to back it into its space. I wonder how many miles I took off the clutch's life backing up that trailer.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to replace my cluthc and throwout bearing at 75,000 miles because I sank my Jeep frame deep in a mud hole and destroyed the throwout bearing. Clutch was toast as well because of the grit. I did have my fly wheel resurfaced because I did not want clutch chatter or to pull it back out again.

I will say the evolution took me about 2 day becuase I had not done it before. Be sure to watch the little boot on the slave cylinder. Stock check them at your local dealer before starting. I needed on, that is why I say stock check it.

R/
Will
Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow, glad to see the tip on the 4 lo for reverse. I back a 10' utility trailer up a berm for parking and the first couple of times I did it I was like man I'm going to burn up my clutch or hit a tree doing 30mph up that hill in reverse. Why is that R such a high ratio anyhow..not like I expect to worry about fuel mileage in reverse
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Comforting to see those mileage figures some are attaining from the stock clutch.
Got 80,000 on my 2.8 CRD JKU RHD (4.10 ratio) so hope mine lasts as long your petrol engines
Drive it steady like a boat, consciously never changed in deep water or mud, but do get a mild rattle, presumably the TOB, but if it gets me another 40K I wont complain
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badboybill010
Over 190,000 miles on mine. Little clunky and creaky but still holds just fine.
Update, have it in the shop for unrelated issues which required dropping the trans. While they were in there the Dealer indicated that the clutch looks really good for the miles. Needless to say I'm happy to hear that.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default JK Clutches suck!

Mine crapped out around 70K. I believe the TOB was the culprit. Like many other 07' owners with the manual trans I had the 'squeal' issue since it was brand new, but the dealer(s) refused to do anything about it. It's not covered in the lifetime power train warranty either. Hoping I get more than 70K out of the replacement. My last two manual trans cars were VW and I put more than 150K on the stock clutches with no issues, so I don't think it was driving style in my case but who knows. This is the first hydraulic clutch I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: Stock clutch longevity?