Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock to Rock questions

Old 05-01-2017, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock to Rock questions

Hey guys
going stock to rock so I got some questions

A) Im aiming towards teraflex 4in lift w/o shocks

1. Should I get a long arm kit with it? If so what kind would I need and where would I get it.
2. If not, would a stock arm relocation kit be ok?
3. Fox 2.0 Resovoir, Rancho RS9000XLs, or Bilstein 9000/5100?

B) Im going for 37s.

1. Mickey Thompson ATZs or Nitto Ridge Grapplers?
2. Will I need an oversized tire carrier for a 37 with my XRC GenII bumper?

C) Extras

1. What should I get it regearded too?
2. Will I need to get a new driveshaft if Im planning on doing mudding and a little bit of rock crawling?

Thanks guys
Old 05-01-2017, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyWhiteJep
Hey guys

1. Should I get a long arm kit with it? If so what kind would I need and where would I get it.

B) Im going for 37s.

C) Extras

2. Will I need to get a new driveshaft if Im planning on doing mudding and a little bit of rock crawling?

Thanks guys
What about the front axel with those 37"? Just gusset and sleeve? I heard it isn't enough
Old 05-02-2017, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 4" long arm kit and setting up for the reliable offroad use of 37 inch tires is a big and expensive undertaking. Tell us a little more about your jeep and where you plan on wheeling.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
A 4" long arm kit and setting up for the reliable offroad use of 37 inch tires is a big and expensive undertaking. Tell us a little more about your jeep and where you plan on wheeling.
+1. What's the realistic budget? You'll need to consider a proper lift, steering component upgrades (TB, DL, ,TR, BJ's), proper wheels, tires, drive shafts, axle upgrades (be that building or replacing), possible brake upgrades, and regearing. It doesn't come cheap.

That doesn't include the nickel and dime things along the way and the things that you'll start wanting like lockers, skid plates, rocker protection, diff covers, recovery gear, etc.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-02-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys

1. Should I get a long arm kit with it? If so what kind would I need and where would I get it?

B) Im going for 37s.

C) Extras

Thanks guys
A. There are so many different lifts available and my recommendation is to find Jeeps in your local area that have various lifts to see what lift rides perfect for you. Ride is 100% subjective. A long arm will give you a little more stability on the road. Check all your options before pulling the trigger. Options look at what the cost of replacement joints and how hard they are to replace.

B. Tires are about the same as lift kits, everyone one has their favorites. You have to find a tire that you will like. Some tires have a lot of road noise and some have balancing issues. I have run both the Mickey Thompson MTZ and Nitto Trail Grapplers and hands down the Trail Grappler is my favorite. I have 54K miles on my current set of Trail Grapplers and still have about 5-8K left on them. The MTZ wore odd and created a lot of road noise.

C. As for the accessories yes you will need new driveshafts the stock ones will not last long with 4 inches of lift due to the zerpa joint that mounts to the transfer case will wear out. I am running 1310 Adams Driveshafts front and rear.
Yes a regear is definately in your future when you go from stock to 37's. Depending on current gears you will either have 3.21 (Sport or Sahara), 3.73 (Tow Package) or 4.10 Rubicon (depending on year only the automatics had 4.10's). Additionally where you live will determine what gears you will need. For me 5.13's work great for my location, however check the gear chart to see what you want. Just like tires and lifts gear selection is 100% subjective.

R/
Will

Click image for larger version

Name:	3_6-jkgearing.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	641.1 KB
ID:	671135

B.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The JK is not a good mudder vehicle. Too many electronic connections and no grease fittings to push muck out of stuff. IF you like mudding buy an old 3/4 ton pick up truck and throw some bloggers on it.

I would avoid teraflex especially their long arm. Most long arm kits for the JK are no better then a short arm.

What does "stock to rock" mean?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The JK is not a good mudder vehicle. Too many electronic connections and no grease fittings to push muck out of stuff. IF you like mudding buy an old 3/4 ton pick up truck and throw some bloggers on it.

I would avoid teraflex especially their long arm. Most long arm kits for the JK are no better then a short arm.

What does "stock to rock" mean?
I just use it as an expression saying you're going from a "stock" jeep to a "rock" crawler. Not actually making it into a rock krawler though lol
Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

So you are building for show on the cheap.
Knowing what you building for and expect out of the jeep makes a difference on advise. My advise would be to run no bigger the 35's and 2.5" of lift with some flat fenders, It will look real good. Re-gear to the chart size that conforms to where you live and what kinds of roads you drive on and add at least a rear locker for increased off road performance. 35's, lockers, and proper gears are going to take you on most trails and still give you a great riding jeep on the pavement without breaking the bank.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Done

Thanks guys. I decided to run 3.5" Rock Krawler, 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler, KMC XD Monster II rims, Bilstein 5100s, Yukon Gear 4.88, and Yukon Dura Grip rear lockers.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

and Yukon Dura Grip rear lockers.
That is a clutch-based Limited Slip, not a locker. A Detroit Truetrac would be a better choice for a limited...

Quick Reply: Stock to Rock questions