Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stopping the condensation

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopping the condensation

Hello all, in was in the process of buying a new unlimited JK here in the UK, until i asked another owner of any issues, to which he replied, just the one...condensation from the roof when cold....a story probably all too common.
I understand the issue, the reasons.
A couple of questions before i decide to join the club....

Does the condensation just form on the roof panels which the rugged ridge insulation panels cover?

What is the best product to stop the condensation forming?

heat insulation is not an issue as i live in the highlands of scotland.
The vehicle would be stored outside and not in use for extended periods of time, i dont want it filling up with mildew causing water !!
Thanks in advance from any northern owners.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your gonna store it for long periods, try throwing some silica packets under the seats. Its not a perfect cure but it should help.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't heard to much about condensation on the hard tops, you here some complaints about the soft top seeping water. I searched this forum to verify and the only complaints I found where regarding the soft tops.

My main reason for posting is to express my jealousy of you living in Scotland.....mmmmmmmm Scotchy Scotch Scotch.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HOOTS MON

Not sure about the atmospheric conditions in your area. Here where I live, we see a wide varity of weather. Old saying is; "If you don't like the weather today, just wait untill tomarrow". Having said that. I have never noticed condensation on the roof panels. But you could always buy the window vent shades and keep your windows cracked.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-06-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never had a problem with condensation on the panels, either in 90 degree summer temps, below freezing temps, or anywhere in-between. Sometimes the truck can feel a bit damp if its been out in the rain severals days straight, but thats about it. The only issue thats sort of the same would be when its really damp outside, the rear and side windows tend to stay fogged up for a bit until the ac has had a chance to dry things out.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default a bit on the damp side

the long periods of standing idle will not be good for interior...dont want to have to keep drying it out....the scotch is the same the world over...it`s just the water you add that makes the difference..oh and there is a certain magic someting about seeing the old distileries !!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttp://www.damprid.com/ or something similar. I used to live on an island and had a little tub of this behind the seat.

No humidity problems.

Last edited by Absolute; 10-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the guy has condensation problems then there is an internal source of the water that's condensing- he must have a leak and water under one of the carpets or in the storage well in the back. The average JK DOES NOT condense water.....
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I bought my JK brand new while i was still living in germany. It was december as well and had about 3 weeks straight up temperatures in single digits. I had the problem of condensation forming after i started driving to work at 530 in the morning with the heater blasting. It was obviously the frost on the inside melting but it still happened. i shipped it shortly after that to hawaii so i never really worried about it since then because its not going to frost up here in hawaii but it happened and i dont know why. And that was with a hard top.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe the Hothead Headliners could be a good way to fix this problem? Mine builds up and freezes over in Germany and like the poster above said, it all comes raining down when the heater is on full blast. The carpet is starting to stink so I think I'll invest in some good seatcovers and bedline the tub too.

Quick Reply: Stopping the condensation