Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange noise from my manual transmission

Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise from my manual transmission (update )

I have a 2012 Rubicon with about 8000 miles on it and I have a very strange noise from my transmission. When I push the clutch in I can here a thump,thump,thump noise when the transmission comes to a stop. The only thing I can say to try to explain it is it sounds like an off centered rotating mass coming to a stop when I am in neutral or first gear and push the clutch in.
My local dealer had me sit and depress the clutch several times and he listened to it with a stethoscope and said it was definitely coming from the transmission.
Any ideas about this?
Has anyone else had this noise maybe even a slight bit and mine just happens to be a little louder?
Anyway he has sent in for advise from the star tech or what ever they call them because he has not heard this before

Thanks for your time

I finally got a rep from Chrysler to come to the dealership and check my tranny out. After several hours of listening to it and making some phone calls he has decided that nothing is wrong. I was told that this is a "normal condition" for this tranny. I'm at a loss here and I have no idea what to do next. I really need some more of you guys with this transmission to speak up and help me gather as much info as I can on this. I need to know if anyone else has this "normal condition" he is talking about.

Thanks again

Last edited by Steelnadz; 10-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

I have a '12 JKUR 6-sp with 1900 miles. Have not heard any type of noise like you are describing. Hope you get your questions answered quickly.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Mine doens't make a noise like that, ever. Seems like the least they could have done is to drain the manual trans lubricant into a container and look for metal or things like that. Of course they need to fix it.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dale_K
Mine doens't make a noise like that, ever. Seems like the least they could have done is to drain the manual trans lubricant into a container and look for metal or things like that. Of course they need to fix it.
Mine has it. Was told it was normal.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Bumped this for some help. Please read the update on this and help out if you can

Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

At least your throwout bearing doesent mysteriously rattle sometimes like mine:/
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of such a noise, and would certainly not consider it normal.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Bump for more help from you guys. There has to be more of you with manuals out there I really need some help with this
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

My guess would be a bad throw out bearing. Ever hear a bad wheel bearing? Those sometimes can make a thump thump type sound, especially when going around curves that increase the load on the bearing.

From everything I've read on these forums, the TB seems to be the weak link in the power train on these wranglers. I've been very careful with mine (I never hold the clutch in while sitting at lights, etc) yet I think mine is already starting to make some noise. Mine is a '13 and only has 900 miles on it!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I to have a bad throwout bearing and its crap that its even as issue. My AX-15 was a better tranny than what this 6 speed has shown to be. Im waiting for mine to get louder so I can have a good argument when I go to the dealer. Dont feel like hearing the ol' "they all do that" when I go.

Quick Reply: Strange noise from my manual transmission