Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this supposed to be illuminated?

Old 04-04-2019, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this supposed to be illuminated?

Hi folks,

Got a 2016 Rubicon with an automatic transmission, and I'm wondering if the letters on the shifter are supposed to be illuminated. Seems like they should be.

If they are supposed to be illuminated, how do I get to the bulb to replace it?

Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

LOL, I knew what you were asking about before I even opened the thread. The answer is yes. There is very tiny bulb in the console that you need to replace. You'll need to put the TC in 4H, pull that emergency brake as high as you can, and give the plastic console a good yank up. I THINK you can access the bulb without removing the shifter handle and console molding completely. I've replaced this bulb before. Lemme see if I can find the part and where I bought it.

I am almost positive it was this -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318NUCI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once you lift that console plastic up you won't see the bulb. There is a little (I think white) plastic piece/holder that you push in and twist to that gear selector (think like you are replacing a tail light bump how you put it in the socket and insert back in to the assembly). So, you'll need to twist and remove the socket.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-04-2019 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dhamack (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Funny thing - there's a little plastic piece to the right of the letters. Thinking there might be a screw under it, I pried it out to see. Now all of the sudden, the light works! But now I'm intrigued about the hole - looks like there's supposed to be a USB plug there...

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, I knew what you were asking about before I even opened the thread. The answer is yes. There is very tiny bulb in the console that you need to replace. You'll need to put the TC in 4H, pull that emergency brake as high as you can, and give the plastic console a good yank up. I THINK you can access the bulb without removing the shifter handle and console molding completely. I've replaced this bulb before. Lemme see if I can find the part and where I bought it.

I am almost positive it was this -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you lift that console plastic up you won't see the bulb. There is a little (I think white) plastic piece/holder that you push in and twist to that gear selector (think like you are replacing a tail light bump how you put it in the socket and insert back in to the assembly). So, you'll need to twist and remove the socket.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's for unlocking the shifter so you can take it out of park if the battery dies.

Quick Reply: Is this supposed to be illuminated?