Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Swapping between 2 sets of stock wheels - all with TPMS. Dealer programming needed?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping between 2 sets of stock wheels - all with TPMS. Dealer programming needed?

I got a second set of stock steel wheels yesterday and they have the factory tire pressure monitors. Will the stock 2012 TPMS work if I swap between sets stock TPMS equipped wheels or do I need to have the dealer reprogram the JK each time I change the wheels back & forth?

How do I remove the TPS valve stem units from the stock wheels? I might buy some Rubi take-offs and use the TPS from the second set of wheels I just got. Do you have to disassemble the sensor unit somehow to get the stem out of the wheel?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head and I'm on my phone so I don't want to type the whole thing anyway. But I know I read about it in the owners manual. Something about driving above a certain speed for so long. Skim your manual u will find it. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the stem from the outside (where it comes thru the wheel and you put air in it) you'll see the base has a nut on it. You will need to unbolt the sensor at that nut. Once you remove the nut the sensor will slide out into the drop center of the wheel. Of course the tire eill have to be dismounted for the removal, although it can be done with the front bead unseated only. It's really easy as pie, However I would recommend going to a place like Discount Tire, Pep Boys, NTB, etc and picking up some TPMS rebuild kits or they will give you problems. Roughly $5 each. Come with new rubbers, caps, the caps you removed and cores. Same places should be able to reset sensors free or at little cost. Each time you swap sets you'll need to sync them with the Jeep via a rest tool. Depending on how often you plan on swapping back and forth it may be worth it to you to drop a few hundred on a reset tool.

Last edited by TYDFAN; 01-22-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

The TPMS valves stems on my 2012 and on the 16" steel take-offs I bought both have a rubber valve stem. There are no nuts to unscrew that I can see. It looks like the stems pull through the hole in the wheel rim just like any tubeless tire but I don't see how you get them out. They look like you'd have to pull them out from the back but there's a screw that seems to hold the electronic parts to the valve stem parts but I'd hate to take that screw out if that's not the right method. Here are a couple of pics. I just read the small print cast into the electronic lump of the sensor and it says to replace the valve and screw with every tire change. So I guess the screw does come out to be able to remove the rubber valve stem.

Last edited by Dale_K; 01-22-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

yep been down this road already. The valve stems on the wrangler are rubber because they bend and flex when abused off road unlike the metal tube type ones with the nut described in the above posts. To swap tpms simply unscrew the bolt at the back of the stem to remove the TPM. Then you can do whatever you can to remove the stem. I found that I destroyed the stem so I purchased another aftermarket set of stems for 25 bucks and installed them and then bolted the TPM back on.

from what I remember the stems weren't even jeep specific. The guys at www.wheelsetc.ca sorted me out

no need to flash the jeep cause I installed the originals back into my new tires

good luck

Last edited by kraby; 01-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, duh, forgot about that style. You got it, simply remove the screw and the valve comes out like old school. Same deal on rebuild kits and reset tool though if swapping sensors or if your jeep monitors each tire individually like my wife's KK.

Last edited by TYDFAN; 01-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Swapping between 2 sets of stock wheels - all with TPMS. Dealer programming needed?