Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Symptoms of a clutch master cylinder failing?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Symptoms of a clutch master cylinder failing?

I have another thread on here about bleeding a Clutch slave cylinder.

It started about two weeks earlier, it started getting hard to get it into reverse, then it started getting hard to get into first and feeling notchy in the other gears, I figured the slave was going. Then I pulled in my garage put my foot on the clutch and I just kept going, I was able to jam on the brakes and shut the key and got it stopped before I went through the wall.

I replaced the slave cylinder, power bled it, still have a spongy pedal and can't get it into gear, I bought a second slave and got the same results. So it's not the slave, next up the Master? Or could the pressure plate have collapsed?

I have a long arm and pulling the tranny is a bitch, I'm hoping it's the master, I'm thinking a collapsing pressure plate may be a stretch anyways, I spoke with two mechanics without having the truck in front of them they agree on the clutch and think it's the master.

So... Anyone who's had a clutch master fail, what does it feel like, like what I'm getting??

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I changed my master a couple years back (there's a write-up on JKF about it) because I suspected it was the cause of an annoying squeak. So that doesn't help you much. The only other time I changed a master cylinder (an old car of mine) was because it was leaking. The only sign of the leaking was the fluid soaked into the insulation at the firewall. But I don't recall you saying that you have to replace fluid loss in your other thread. Anyway, I'm surprised you're having such difficulty. At 218K miles I've replaced my clutch/slave/master/etc, breaking open the system at least a half dozen times, and never had any trouble with bleeding (well, except that one time the O-ring fell off and I didn't catch it before installing the new slave). Anyway, you've tried everything else, give the master a go. Do be aware that there is another one of those funky O-rings on the master cylinder.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Mark, I saw your write up, excellent. A question for you, or whoever, it seems the O ring is there, if the O ring isn't there, when pumping the pedal you would see seepage at the union correct? I cleaned everything down and watched where the line entered the slave and didn't see anything?

Thx
Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, I pulled the master, pretty simple after reading Mark's write up, the problem now it I can't get the new master to seat. I had my wife under the hood pushing on it, but I cant get it to spin into place? Could I have spun it too far taking it out and messed up the tabs?

This should be a simple job, I rebuilt the JK after the accident, https://www.flickr.com/photos/983416...57641423673704, built a bunch of other projects, this should be an hour project
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by upalms
Thanks Mark, I saw your write up, excellent. A question for you, or whoever, it seems the O ring is there, if the O ring isn't there, when pumping the pedal you would see seepage at the union correct? I cleaned everything down and watched where the line entered the slave and didn't see anything?

Thx
Yes, it was obvious that the O-ring was missing. Brake fluid seeping out rapidly with each pedal press.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by upalms
Ok, I pulled the master, pretty simple after reading Mark's write up, the problem now it I can't get the new master to seat. I had my wife under the hood pushing on it, but I cant get it to spin into place? Could I have spun it too far taking it out and messed up the tabs?

This should be a simple job, I rebuilt the JK after the accident, https://www.flickr.com/photos/983416...57641423673704, built a bunch of other projects, this should be an hour project
Hmm. Been a while since I did that swap. Seems to me I had to loosen the brake booster to make enough wiggle room for everything.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

OK, so I got the master in, and I power bled from the slave up, my buddy watched from the top till the reservois reached the full mark.

Same pedal, no change, we then pedal bled it a half dozen times, same.

I cleaned the slave off really good, and then noticed something moving under the slave bleeder, which you can see in the video. A friend got two bad slaves in a row. I'm kind of at a loss at this point, short of pulling the tranny.

Take a close look at the slave just below the bleeder as my friend pumps the pedal

https://www.flickr.com/photos/983416...posted-public/

Could I be dealing with two bad slaves in a row?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

OK, so I got the master in, and I power bled from the slave up, my buddy watched from the top till the reservois reached the full mark.

Same pedal, no change, we then pedal bled it a half dozen times, same.

I cleaned the slave off really good, and then noticed something moving under the slave bleeder, which you can see in the video. A friend got two bad slaves in a row. I'm kind of at a loss at this point, short of pulling the tranny.

Take a close look at the slave just below the bleeder as my friend pumps the pedal

https://www.flickr.com/photos/983416...posted-public/

Could I be dealing with two bad slaves in a row?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

In the video I see what looks like the retainer clip for the line to the slave moving when there is line pressure, is that what you're asking about moving in the video?

The noise as the clutch is pressed sounds terrible, how long has it sounded like that?

I'm wondering if the clutch is actually disengaging, will it go into gear easy (without noise) with the engine running?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Doesn't it appear that the bleed valve isn't fully closed off? [searching for a scratching my head emoticon]

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a clutch master cylinder failing?