JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Tailgate Fail! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/tailgate-fail-83004/)

AlmightyCrash 04-22-2009 06:21 PM

Tailgate Fail!

ok....so ppl always warn me about weight on my tailgate...
and others ask if it hurts my gate to carry that huge 20 with a 36" meat.

I always say Ive had no problems.:naw:

GUESS WHAT!!!
My slow hunt for a tire carrier has become an emergency.
I shut the tailgate yesterday, and it rattled....
I grabbed the wheel/tire push and pull to see what was loose.
Turns out its the entire tailgate!

When I wiggle the spare, the whole tailgate moves around 1-1.5" in either direction. Time for some shopping, I guess.

Tomorrow Im gonna check the bolts that hold the gate to the hinges, and see if I can buy some time....if not, Ill be running spareless until I get a new carrier.

Too bad I cant find the ones I like in stock anywhere.

Dylanjam77 04-22-2009 06:24 PM

Sorry to hear about that Crash.... Good luck on your search for your spare carrier. :yup:

pjay37 04-22-2009 06:25 PM

that's too bad. i'm getting 35's soon and that's my number one worry. i guess i'm really going to have to pick up carrier soon...

Kahntakt 04-22-2009 06:29 PM

Sucks dude. I was hoping to lag a while on the carrier too. Looks like it'll move up the list. Thanks for the heads up!

mkjeep 04-22-2009 08:11 PM

Uh huh, gotcha Crash, if you really had money, you'd had a tire carrier by now! So we know how you did so good on a wife now! HAHA Oh, nevermind, forget I said anything.

AlmightyCrash 04-22-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mkjeep (Post 1079576)
Uh huh, gotcha Crash, if you really had money, you'd had a tire carrier by now! So we know how you did so good on a wife now! HAHA Oh, nevermind, forget I said anything.

Its not a money issue...its finding one I like, and then finding it it stock anywhere.

but no....im not financially wealthy.
compared to some.

Piginajeep 04-22-2009 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash (Post 1079622)
Its not a money issue...its finding one I like, and then finding it it stock anywhere.

but no....im not financially wealthy.
compared to some.

Hanson had rears available when I got mine a week or two ago, but they arent cheap.

A friend of mine was running just a 33" tire and his tailgate started popping in and out...:crazyeyes:

AlmightyCrash 04-22-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Piginajeep (Post 1079650)
Hanson had rears available when I got mine a week or two ago, but they arent cheap.

A friend of mine was running just a 33" tire and his tailgate started popping in and out...:crazyeyes:

I may go with the hanson rack...
And choose bumpers later.

Piginajeep 04-22-2009 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash (Post 1079671)
I may go with the hanson rack...
And choose bumpers later.

I picked up the full tire carrier, swing away bumper:ya:

here's what your looking for...
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-bumpers-armor-114/hanson-tire-carrier-nj-82640/

AlmightyCrash 04-22-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ridin' Dirty (Post 1079682)
What actually wears out on the tailgate the hinges? There's gotta be a way to beef it up. I was thinking about adding a third hinge to help with the weight distribution think that would work?

That would work for hinges, but would not help the fact that the gate is just too thin a piece of sheet metal to hold the weight.

yellow08rubicon 04-22-2009 10:07 PM

I have worried about this also with my 37" spare. When I open the tailgate the passenger side of my Jeep Drops like a half an inch. So I knew that couldn't be good on the tailgate.

Renegade JK 04-22-2009 10:32 PM

My tailgate is taking a $hit on me too. It dosent wobble (yet) but when I hit a bump it sounds like a tin can making a popping sound. With the tailgate closed if I push against the handle I can duplicate the sound. It has also developed a crease/fold going from the bottom hinge up towards the drivers side.

This is with a 35" MTR on a steel wheel (heavy!) I knew it wasent going to last long as all my Jeeps have done this, but I just dont have $1200 for a swing out carrier right now!!!!:naw:

lockednloaded 04-22-2009 11:33 PM

Good luck on your search. Rear bumpers w/ tire carrier are freaking expensive. I'm a fan of the Warn rear. Price isn't terrible, and it looks good IMO.

Scikotic Monkey 04-23-2009 03:41 AM

there was a guy who ran 35's on his stock tail gate and the welds started to pop free, not a pretty site, he just went with the mopar tire carrier, they dont seem to be pretty well built IMOP. i like the or-fab carrier

jhagerman 04-23-2009 04:16 AM

Sucks man.

I've worried about that with just the stock tire carrier.

Michigan Mike 04-23-2009 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scikotic Monkey (Post 1079857)
there was a guy who ran 35's on his stock tail gate and the welds started to pop free, not a pretty site, he just went with the mopar tire carrier, they dont seem to be pretty well built IMOP. i like the or-fab carrier

I've got the Mopar carrier and it seems to be built just fine thank you.

No problems or issues with a Procomp 7289/Toyo O/C M/T 35 for a total weight on the carrier of @ 115 Lbs.

Littlejon 04-23-2009 09:49 AM

If you are having those issues I would be willing to bet that you also have been breaking spot welds on the gate that hold it all together.

smbundy13 04-23-2009 10:05 AM

i have the or-fab tire and can carrier.. its pretty nice.. and cheaper than a bumper.

wakerunner08 04-23-2009 10:29 AM

It's not just aftermarket tires that are causing the problem. I am running my stock rubicon tires, but I had my interior line-xed. Worth every penny, but I had the guy spray the inside of the tailgate for ding protection from cargo.

It's not alot of added weight, but now the tailgate slams on the latch if I don't lift the gate as it swings close. As of right now its mostly just a hassle, but I'm concerned about long term damage. Just keep that in mind if you add ANYTHING to the tailgate, not just a larger spare...

racer83l 04-23-2009 12:30 PM

Crash, Northridge stocks the LoD Signature rear bumpers.. they are in my opinion, the nicest bumper available.

cgtweet 04-23-2009 04:03 PM

re

Mr T... the weight of your 33 inch tire damaged your tailgate? What 33... the Coopers?

NE Wrangling 04-23-2009 04:16 PM

I've had cooper 35" tire on the back for a year now. I'm not really regular wear and tear loosened the tailgate. You guy's have to have some kind fo defect or smacked it when wheeling.

swanni06 04-23-2009 05:06 PM

dude that suuuucks,hope you get it worked out.

Dr.McNinja 04-23-2009 05:27 PM

Another vote for the Or-Fab. I'll tell you, it's a great item.

drumnatural 04-23-2009 05:28 PM

Geez...now I know what to avoid.

bOLsAK=3 04-23-2009 05:44 PM

I don't know if I missed reading this or what, but I didn't see anywhere if it was your hinges or the bolts holding the tailgate to the hinges?:thinking: Do you know which is loose?:dontknow2:

armycop 04-23-2009 05:57 PM

So far I have been checking mine frequently. I looked at the weight of a stock 32" tire: 48 lbs. The weight of my 35" tire is only 16-18 pounds heavier than the stock tire (running a stock rim). I don't think that amount of weight distributed evenly around the wheel would make that much of a difference. I could see if you are running steelies or a much heavier wheel/tire combo. :dontknow2:

sn4cktime 04-23-2009 07:56 PM

I've got a PJ rear, it's decent, had some repair issues with it.

I really like the look of the Red Rock Fab carrier. If I was doing it all over I'd get that, the River Raider drop-down carrier and crusher corners, or the EVO rear system that they're just starting to release.

AlmightyCrash 04-23-2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sn4cktime (Post 1081915)
I've got a PJ rear, it's decent, had some repair issues with it.

I really like the look of the Red Rock Fab carrier. If I was doing it all over I'd get that, the River Raider drop-down carrier and crusher corners, or the EVO rear system that they're just starting to release.

Where can I find pics of the river raider carrier and evo rear system?

armycop 04-23-2009 08:19 PM

Was your spare resting on the rubber bumpstops on the tailgate or did you use a spacer? I am trying to prolong having to buy a carrier. My spare is tight against the bumpstops and I don't have any vibration...

armycop 04-27-2009 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ridin' Dirty (Post 1088647)
I'm toying with the idea of buying a tailgate from a wreck and beefing it up. I hate to see my girlfriend wrestle around with the tire rack to put groceries in the back. Gonna call around tomorrow see what's available. Can't be much more involved than a strategically placed brace or two....

I was thinking of getting this tailgate cover to help strengthen the sheet metal...

http://www.warriorproducts.com/image...ateCovers3.jpg

mkjeep 04-27-2009 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by armycop (Post 1089106)
I was thinking of getting this tailgate cover to help strengthen the sheet metal...

http://www.warriorproducts.com/image...ateCovers3.jpg

Thats nice , but where are the rest of the holes for the carrier?:thinking: Also, the center piece is not attached to the rest of the tail gate for support.:dontknow2: I'm thjinkin that's for someone running no spare.