Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tensioner/ Idler Pulley Torque Specs

Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner/ Idler Pulley Torque Specs

So from what I believe one of my pulley's froze up while in some deep mud (mud or rock got stuck in there I have no idea.) Anyways, my serpentine belt pretty much melted and eventually broke and messed up the pulley's pretty bad as well. I have all the new parts I need but was wondering if anyone has torque specs for the tensioner and idler pulley's. I can only find specs for the 3.8.

Any help is appreciated...thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

According to the 2012 JK service manual...

Position the tensioner arm onto the engine front cover. Tighten bolt to 24 ft. lbs.
Align the hydraulic belt tensioner strut to the engine front cover and install the bolt. Tighten bolt to 16.6 ft. lbs.

NOTE: The bolts used to fasten the idler pulleys to the engine are different lengths. The left side idler bolt is longer than the right side idler bolt. (Left and Right as viewed from the driver's seat, looking forward.)

Install idler pulley (Left and Right) with their respective pulley bolt. Tighten bolt to 45 ft. lbs torque.

CAUTION: When installing the accessory drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly. If not, the engine may overheat due to the water pump rotating in the wrong direction.

WARNING: A slow and steady application of force and motion is required when compressing the belt tensioner strut. Any aggressive application of force will result in damage to the strut

Install accessory drive belt.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alldata........Click image for larger version

Name:	136283838.jpg
Views:	1920
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	510269

1. 1.An indexing slot is located on back of tensioner (2). Align this slot to the head of the bolt on the front cover. Install the mounting bolt (1). Tighten bolt to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.).
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
Alldata........Attachment 510269

1. 1.An indexing slot is located on back of tensioner (2). Align this slot to the head of the bolt on the front cover. Install the mounting bolt (1). Tighten bolt to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.).
3.8L specs.

Quick Reply: Tensioner/ Idler Pulley Torque Specs