Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is there any "Half Door" owners out there?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any "Half Door" owners out there?

I have a 2008 Rubicon with half doors and I would like some incite to the wear and tear on my half doors. If anyone out there has them, I would like to ask you questions.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might seem like a silly question and I don't mean any offense to it. Just very curious as I have never understood it. What was your reasoning for getting half doors? Myself, I either have the door on or take it off. Would seem a metal half door would be nearly the same as rolling down the window no?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
This might seem like a silly question and I don't mean any offense to it. Just very curious as I have never understood it. What was your reasoning for getting half doors? Myself, I either have the door on or take it off. Would seem a metal half door would be nearly the same as rolling down the window no?
No. I wish like hell I had half doors. Half doors are well...half doors! Way more open. Now lets get this thread on track
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladimer
With the top down theres quite a difference in look between a half door (with top half/safety cage moulding removed) and full door with window down.

I personally think the Unlimited's look goofy with their top down and the full doors installed. It's like seeing a convertible automobile with the top down and windows up.

Also, I can remove my half door tops and mouldings in about 15 seconds per side. I don't have to worry about chipping paint while removing/storing full door. Nor do I have to worry about cowl/mirror dent and exterior mirror installation.

But I do think it's pretty cool to run doorless. Just alot more effort.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of half door owners on the forum. factory half, aftermarket, home-made, you name it.

what's your question(s)??

no shortage of opinions here abouts!

I have OEM half and fulls. love them both. I like going doorless, too but NE weather has caused some cold rides home. And the occasional wet one...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, since I have a 2008 and as many times as I have taken the soft part of the doors off, I've been recently noticing that the front doors, mostly at TOP FRONT have been leaking more. When I travel down the road at 65 mph, I notice that I can seen some daylight through the top of my door. I'm just not really getting a good seal on the tops of my front doors to the canvas top. Anyone else having this problem or I just have to deal with it getting older, like we all do, break down eventually. Does this make sense to anyone? i hope I explained my problem correctly.

Thanks allot!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Iv only had my 08 unlimited for a year but mine is doing the exact same thing. I can see daylight going down the highway and it leaks slightly more than I feel it should. If someone has a solution please let us know. Oh I did buy some of that squishy foam door seal tape and attached them to the bottom of the windows. It helped with some of the drafty winter air but has done nothing for the seal along the top.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I to can see daylight when on the highway, the best thing i did to stop the leaking was clean the rubber part thats attached to the windshield.

but the passenger side top half is starting to stick...
Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2011 with half doors and mine leak as well. They have from the day i drove it off the dealership. I dont know if being able to see the sky is normal though. When i bought my jk with half doors i figured they would wear out a little quicker than the rest of the top. Completely woryh it to me though, i love my half doors!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 is just over a year old and the pass side has always leaked some. I don't see daylight through the crack yet.

Quick Reply: Is there any "Half Door" owners out there?