Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

is there a recall on heating in the 2011 jk.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a recall on heating in the 2011 jk.

I have heat on the passenger side but not the driver side. It's blowing cold air
Old 11-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Not that I'm aware of.....
You likely need to replace your heater core.
The following users liked this post:
Sag122 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If it were a heater core you would smell coolant or not have heat. It sounds like the blend door actuator... cheap and easy fix. Look for one on amazon and think you only need a screwdriver to swap it out
The following 2 users liked this post by Riptide9:
chez323 (10-29-2019), Sag122 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think this is what you need https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-604-029-Air-Door-Actuator/dp/B00HRSP2A6/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Jeep%7C42&Model=Wrangler%7C356&Year=2011%7C2011&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive
Here is a video on how to replace it on a 2011 JK
The following 2 users liked this post by Riptide9:
bbeyers (12-04-2018), Jay2013jk (11-17-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am dealing with the same issue. I have some heat, but it’s not consistent and seems to be warmer on the passenger side then on the driver side. However, I find it strange that for some reason my auxiliary fan is running all the time, the engin temperature is normal, but th fan seems to come on after 10 minutes of driving and stay on, until I turn the jeep off. It is not hot, the operating temp is normal.

Last edited by Suss1173; 11-16-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Suss1173
I am dealing with the same issue. I have some heat, but it’s not consistent and seems to be warmer on the driver side then on the passenger side. However, I find it strange that for some reason my auxiliary fan isn’t running all the time, the engin temperature is normal, but th fan seems to be running all the time.
The symptoms for Heater related problems tends to be the same, but there are multiple causes within the system which can cause those symptoms. I spent well over a year diagnosing my heater problem. I did a lot of research and identified 13 top causes of heater related problems on our JKs and diagnosed each one.

Here is the discussion thread I started at that time which you can use to diagnose your heat problem. My problem ended up being a combination of 3 problems of a leaking radiator, Lower Intake Manifold Leak, and a clogged heater core. The clogged heater core, having the biggest impact to heat performance once it was replaced.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...roblem-339178/

Point being, through the process of my own diagnosis and repairs, I kind of became an expert on the JK heater system, where I feel anyone can take a guess based upon the symptoms you described and that guess will typically be based off of each individual's own personal experience of what fixed their particular problem, which may be the same as yours but in reality it may not and you really need to diagnose and eliminate each of the potential problems until you find the correct problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-16-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Suss1173 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Riptide9
If it were a heater core you would smell coolant or not have heat. It sounds like the blend door actuator... cheap and easy fix. Look for one on amazon and think you only need a screwdriver to swap it out
Not true, a bad heater core does not necessarily mean you will smell coolant. The assumption you are making in that statement, which is a valid assumption, is that there is a leak in the heater core, which is a possibility but one of the more common failures of the JK's heater core is that there is casting sand present in the coolant system which eventually gets trapped inside of the HC and causes blockages in the HC. See my diagnostic thread. I had a clogged heater core, and there was no coolant smell present. I performed a dissection of my heater core which shows the problem, where that dissection was performed after multiple advanced reverse flushes of the HC.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-16-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Suss1173 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sag122
I have heat on the passenger side but not the driver side. It's blowing cold air
See my diagnostic thread and start diagnosing.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rednroll. Thanks for chiming in and posting the link too.
Rednroll (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Suss1173
I am dealing with the same issue. I have some heat, but it’s not consistent and seems to be warmer on the passenger side then on the driver side. However, I find it strange that for some reason my auxiliary fan is running all the time, the engin temperature is normal, but th fan seems to come on after 10 minutes of driving and stay on, until I turn the jeep off. It is not hot, the operating temp is normal.

Based on your symptoms. It seems like your coolant is low since that will cause both higher temp problems, causing your cooling fan to run continuously, as well as cause poor heater performance.
When you 1st get in your JK after it has sat overnight, do you hear a sloshing noise from behind your dash?

The sloshing noise would indicate there is air in the coolant system, and would also cause air to be in the heater core as well. The air in the HC causes the sloshing sound to be heard. Your 1st step of diagnosis would be to check your coolant level to make sure it is full. You can do this by checking the level of the overflow tank and taking the cap off the radiator (while engine is cool), to make sure the coolant is to the top. If not, then you need to fill with proper coolant both in the radiator and overflow bottle to the max fill line and then burb the system to remove the air and then top off the coolant again.

Another potential from your symptoms could be the HOAT/OAT coolant mix problem, which causes gel to form in your cooling system. This will therefore cause blockages both in your radiator (again causing the fan to contnuously run), and your HC (restricting coolant from properly flowing through the HC. Try to inspect your overflow bottle, and look in the bottom to see if there is any gel sitting in the bottom.

Water pump and thermostat is another potential...essentially, at this point, I'm walking you through the list in my other thread and going through the process of elimination.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: is there a recall on heating in the 2011 jk.