Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing chain removal 3.8l 2007

Old 01-17-2015, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay thanks.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
When he was talking about a knock it was a different kind of knock than you are thinking of, your thinking spark knock while the op is talking about a knock from something hitting something else, in his case the chain hitting the timing cover
Where did anyone say the chain was hitting the cover? Like to see a picture of that cover to confirm.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

It wasnt hitting the cover it was hitting a screw from the oil pump cover plate which had backed out. The chain deflection was also more than allowed so I swapped it out since I was in there fixing the pump cover. The tapping/
knocking from chain hitting the screw has obviously now gone. But my engine still sounds like shit! Yes its a chrysler 3.8 and its noisy.......but thats no reason to ignore what could be a simple fix.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by BulldogMJP
It wasnt hitting the cover it was hitting a screw from the oil pump cover plate which had backed out. The chain deflection was also more than allowed so I swapped it out since I was in there fixing the pump cover. The tapping/
knocking from chain hitting the screw has obviously now gone. But my engine still sounds like shit! Yes its a chrysler 3.8 and its noisy.......but thats no reason to ignore what could be a simple fix.
Your post #15 on this thread stated that the noise was gone after the timing chain replacement. Now you say it sounds like shit again. And the original chain noise wasn't the chain at all. It was a loose Oil pump bolt being an interference???
This whole story sure doesn't sound like anything any other 3.8 engine owner can expect to happen.
2 weeks to get the chain in the first place says how often the engine ever needs one.
Come on...what's really going on here?
You are in Toronto and the main Chrysler parts wharehouse for Canada is in Brampton which is the suburb on the north end of the city.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 01-26-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like I said chain was out of spec. Maybe thats why the oil pump cover screw backed out...who knows. It was making a horrible noise . So...
Yes the chain did need replacing.
Yes the oil pump did need rebuilding.
Chrysler did not have the parts available in the local warehouse and due to it being Christmas and New years I had to wait 12 days.
Did I fix the timing chain noise? Yes I did.

But! There is a deep knocking noise resonating from the lower oil pan that gets loud once the engines hot. I drive it 3 or 4 times a week. If the motor blows so be it. But if I can be proactive and help it out I will. I have the time ,I got the tools and I enjoy working on the jeep.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said chain was out of spec. Maybe thats why the oil pump cover screw backed out...who knows. It was making a horrible noise . So... Yes the chain did need replacing. Yes the oil pump did need rebuilding. Chrysler did not have the parts available in the local warehouse and due to it being Christmas and New years I had to wait 12 days. Did I fix the timing chain noise? Yes I did. But! There is a deep knocking noise resonating from the lower oil pan that gets loud once the engines hot. I drive it 3 or 4 times a week. If the motor blows so be it. But if I can be proactive and help it out I will. I have the time ,I got the tools and I enjoy working on the jeep.
Kudos to you for taking on that kind of repair, and for sharing it. I for one appreciate it. It's posts and discussions like this that help us all.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Former Member

Yup. Hope everything goes well with the lower end rebuild.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Like I said chain was out of spec. Maybe thats why the oil pump cover screw backed out...who knows. It was making a horrible noise . So...
Yes the chain did need replacing.
Yes the oil pump did need rebuilding.
Chrysler did not have the parts available in the local warehouse and due to it being Christmas and New years I had to wait 12 days.
Did I fix the timing chain noise? Yes I did.

But! There is a deep knocking noise resonating from the lower oil pan that gets loud once the engines hot. I drive it 3 or 4 times a week. If the motor blows so be it. But if I can be proactive and help it out I will. I have the time ,I got the tools and I enjoy working on the jeep.
Dredging this old chestnut back up. OP, did you ever find the source of the bottom end noise? I replaced the upper oil pan gasket on my '09 last weekend and discovered the timing chain had WAY too much slack. I could move the slacked (driver) side about 1/2"+ With no parts or time to fix it I buttoned it back up. I'm getting kind of a raspy, racket at certain RPMs (2000, 2700, etc.) under load that I was pretty sure being caused by the timing chain. Now that I know this I have to fix it or it'll drive me nuts.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoK66
Dredging this old chestnut back up. OP, did you ever find the source of the bottom end noise? I replaced the upper oil pan gasket on my '09 last weekend and discovered the timing chain had WAY too much slack. I could move the slacked (driver) side about 1/2"+ With no parts or time to fix it I buttoned it back up. I'm getting kind of a raspy, racket at certain RPMs (2000, 2700, etc.) under load that I was pretty sure being caused by the timing chain. Now that I know this I have to fix it or it'll drive me nuts.

did you go for the chain replacement? I have to replace my upper gasket in next few weeks (leaking bad) and have similar noise - erratic clatter under load at those RPM’s.

sorry to revive!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamasjk

did you go for the chain replacement? I have to replace my upper gasket in next few weeks (leaking bad) and have similar noise - erratic clatter under load at those RPM’s.

sorry to revive!
Yes I did. Replaced it last week and the noises are gone. The Jeep only has 74,500 miles on it and the amount of slack in the chain was alarming. The replacement process is time consuming because so much has to come off and go back on. You can read about what I did in the last entries in the following thread in the Writeup section:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...cement-346508/

The OP of the writeup did a splendid job, I just added a few thoughts. I purchased a couple of the Chrysler special tools (8450-1 & 8452) which made the crankshaft gear, front crank seal and harmonic balancer installations go very easily. Also, you'll need the little paper spacer that goes on the cam position sensor for it's installation. The part# is 5552229AB.

Last edited by SoK66; 01-22-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Error in part number

Quick Reply: Timing chain removal 3.8l 2007