Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Timing chain removal 3.8l 2007

Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Duplicate post

Last edited by SoK66; 01-22-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
Yes I did. Replaced it last week and the noises are gone. The Jeep only has 74,500 miles on it and the amount of slack in the chain was alarming. The replacement process is time consuming because so much has to come off and go back on. You can read about what I did in the last entries in the following thread in the Writeup section:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...cement-346508/

The OP of the writeup did a splendid job, I just added a few thoughts. I purchased a couple of the Chrysler special tools (8450-1 & 8452) which made the crankshaft gear, front crank seal and harmonic balancer installations go very easily. Also, you'll need the little paper spacer that goes on the cam position sensor for it's installation. The part# is 5452229AB.
Appreciate the reply - 99% sure this is my issue. Not looking forward to the task ahead!!!

I can't find any reference to the paper spacer on the CPS online - and looking for that part number online comes up blank for a 3.8L. (I also can't find the tools online either :( ) Any pointers? I live on a rock with no auto shops carrying anything useful, so gotta order everything online from the US and ship it in.

Sucks I can't go to a part store for any of this - sily country
Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bahamasjk
Appreciate the reply - 99% sure this is my issue. Not looking forward to the task ahead!!!

I can't find any reference to the paper spacer on the CPS online - and looking for that part number online comes up blank for a 3.8L. (I also can't find the tools online either :( ) Any pointers? I live on a rock with no auto shops carrying anything useful, so gotta order everything online from the US and ship it in.

Sucks I can't go to a part store for any of this - sily country
Ok, I put the wrong part number in for the spacer, it is Mopar 5252229AB. It is the same for both the cam sensor and the crank sensor. The spacer measures .030" with the adhesive protective backing peeled back. So, if you can't get the spacer any paper item measuring same will do the job. Someone wrote in another forum that you could cut one to size from a business card. The way it works, you clean the end of the cam position sensor thouroughly to remove any oil residue, then stick the spacer on the end of the sensor. You carefully press the cam position sensor into place until it just touches the cam drive sprocket. When you start the engine it will remove the paper from the sensor and the gap will be perfect. The spacer either gets chewed up or winds up in the oil pickup tube screen. This is a common way to set the gap on many different manufacturer brand engines. FWIW, I found the one I used on Amazon, but all the online Mopar parts vendors should have it.

Look on the USA Ebay site for the tools used. OR, you can source them new at Mopar Essential Tools

ttps://www.moparessentialtools.com

I plan on keeping the ones I bought as they were so useful. FWIW, I rented a harmonic balancer puller from a local parts store. To remove the timing gear from the crank I used my own 3-jaw puller. The jaws on the puller were too thick, so I had to grind a bit off the ends to get them to fit between the gear teeth and the face of the crankshaft journal. I used the 8450 thrust button tool as a seat for the puller, worked great. I was able to counter-hold the puller and turn the spindle bolt on the puller without much effort and the gear slowly came off. The 8452 tool set pressed the new gear on very easily and was later useful for seating the forward crank seal and reinstalling the harmonic balancer. Of course you can do all this without the tools, but they made the job go very smoothly without risk of damage to the crankshaft, gear seal or balancer.

Last edited by SoK66; 01-22-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Wrong part number
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
Ok, I put the wrong part number in for the spacer, it is Mopar 5552229AB.
Zero results in Google for that number.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Zero results in Google for that number.

CORRECT!! It's early, I put the wrong number in AGAIN!!! So sorry, geez.

The number is 5252229AB

Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the dealer check my chain during a timing chain cover replacement. at 100K miles they said it was fine.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LVJimmy
I had the dealer check my chain during a timing chain cover replacement. at 100K miles they said it was fine.
Frankly, the hard work is getting to the chain & gears. A lot of R&R involved. Surprised they didn't just change it all out, as the timing set is very inexpensive.

Quick Reply: Timing chain removal 3.8l 2007