Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tips on Rear Shocks

Old 05-09-2017, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Rear Shocks

Rees my situation...i installed a XRC atlas on rear of jeep..bout 225 lbs....I did put stouter coil springs but my stock shocks need replaced. I need recommendations on some stouter shocks to help with the added weight ....Thxs in advance
Old 05-10-2017, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks are really a preference/ how much you want to spend thing. Think about where you mostly drive and road conditions and factor that in as well as what you want out of them.
I have had Fox 2.0 resi shocks on my vehicle just over a year now and couldn't be happier. The ride can be a little harsh when the rig is empty sometimes but not jarring. Body roll in corners is at a minimum and off-road they are controlled when coming off of obstacles and smooth when cruising access roads at speed. from what I understand in the fox line the 2.0 adventure IFP, 2.0 performance IFP and. 2.0 Resivoir shocks are all valved the same and the adventure/Performance IFP shocks ride about the same
I have run billsteins on other vehicles and the 4600s did their job, and we're a touch softer on the road but I did have more body roll.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AR JK RUBI
Rees my situation...i installed a XRC atlas on rear of jeep..bout 225 lbs....I did put stouter coil springs but my stock shocks need replaced. I need recommendations on some stouter shocks to help with the added weight ....Thxs in advance
Did you do a lift kit with your new springs?

You don't need to go crazy on shocks to see some big improvements. We are a Fox dealer so we are obviously biased, but I would recommend a Fox Adventure Series 2.0 for you, you'll get some good results without breaking the bank.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Main difference between the adventure and performance series IFP shocks is alloy body/ rebuild able Vs Steel body non serviceable. So you will get pretty great performance out of a competitively priced shock that has the fox pedigree
Old 05-14-2017, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
Did you do a lift kit with your new springs? You don't need to go crazy on shocks to see some big improvements. We are a Fox dealer so we are obviously biased, but I would recommend a Fox Adventure Series 2.0 for you, you'll get some good results without breaking the bank.
. The jeep is Stock...will these work with stock height..says for 1.5"-3.5" lifts ????
Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll let trail jeeps comment for sure but there is nothing wrong with running a slightly longer shock as long as it's compensated for on the up travel so your not using the end of the shock stroke as your bump stop. To be safe you could always add a hockey puck on your bump stops f/r to limit your bottom out if it's an issue. You will get a little more negative travel with a longer shock but as long as your not maxing out extension on them you should be fine. at the end of the day your limited by all the other components for neg travel and at stock height i wouldn't worry about that too much
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AR JK RUBI
. The jeep is Stock...will these work with stock height..says for 1.5"-3.5" lifts ????
You can get them for that size lift. Part number ending in 887 and 888 I believe.

Quick Reply: Tips on Rear Shocks